Mosti Mondiale Mosti All Juice Bucket as a Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeApe

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if the buckets the All Juice kits come in are safe to use as a primary? I'm getting ready to make my first batch of home brew beer and need a 6.5 gallon primary. I'd rather not use my 7.9gallonwine primary as I've read the beer imparts unwanted flavors.
Thanks!

GrapeApe.

I don't see why it wouldn't be OK. Some folks make the kit in them- even though it would be small for the wine, but should be OK for the beer- 5 gallon batch.

George had a problem with these being to small as they overflowed!!!!!
He actually put the whole bucket inside a 7.9 gallon primary.

These are the same size as my beer primary buckets and will work perfectly. I haven't tryed putting the lids back on securely so I dont know how secure they will be, but for the primary that is no big deal anyway.

I am using one of the MM all juice buckets as a sanitizer chamber for most of my equipment. Only thing that wont fit is the autosiphon.Edited by: docbee

Great idea, docbee. I should have an empty one in a week or two.

<table ="tableBorder" style="table-layout: fixed;" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1">
<t><tr><td rowspan="4" ="msgOddTableSide" valign="top">
fvw_logo4.gif

Forum Owner

Online Status: Offline

</td>
<td ="msgOddTableRow" valign="top"> </span> Posted: 02 May 2007 at 10:11pm</td>
</tr>
<tr ="msgOddTableRow">
<td ="msgLineDevider" height="150" valign="top">

<div ="msg" style=": left; overflow: auto;">
So at 11 pm, last night, I got scared, so I decided to drive to the
store to see if I had a mess to clean up. Here is what I found:
20070502_180545_DSCN4723.jpg

20070502_180642_DSCN4724.jpg

It looked like the foaming issue is only related to the reds, but to be on the safe side, here is what I did.

20070502_180845_DSCN4725.jpg

This is a picture from this morning. They wound up inside of 7.9
gallon buckets, anyway. As you can see, I would have had a major mess
if I had not done this.

I would have to advise you to NOT use the 6.5 gallon bucket for any wine kit.

BTW, they smelled wonderful and were still fizzing away when I left this evening.

appleman,

Obviously I read your mind!
</span></td></tr></t>
</table>

Some of you might have gotten lucky with a few but I wouldnt push it judging by these pics from George!

Just to be clear, I'm planning to use the MM bucket for a 5 gallon batch of beer. As Wade pointed out, if you're making the 6 gallonkit that came in the MM bucket, it should be racked or poured into the standard 7.9 gallon primary to avoid a potential mess.

Thanks all. My first batch of English Brown Ale is in the primary.It should be ready to crack open within 3 weeks.

GrapeApe (or in this case HopsApe).

I guess I have to read posts a little better as I thought you were making the Mosti kit!
smiley9.gif
You will be fine docbee says.

appleman said:
I don't see why it wouldn't be OK. - even though it would be small for the wine, but should be OK for the beer- 5 gallon batch.

Wade, that's what I said in the first response to the post
smiley36.gif

Cut him some slack, Apple. He's lost a lot of blood this week.
smiley29.gif

Thanks for the help, guys.

GrapeApe.

No problem GrapeApe. I'm sorry Wade
smiley2.gif
There was the loss of blood from the nail gun accident- OUCH. And then there was the early Birthday- wine degorging accident. Be careful out there everybody. It's a dangerous hobby making wine!
smiley36.gif

GrapeApe said:
I'd rather not use my 7.9gallonwine primary as I've read the beer imparts unwanted flavors.

Where did you read that? I've been making beer and wine for 13 years and have used primary fermentators interchangeably. I've never experienced any problem with the fermenter imparting unwanted flavors. If you use care in cleaning and sanitizing containers, I don't see this as a real problem. As an extreme precaution, I mightuse a separate fermenter if I were brewing lambic and other beers using wild yeasts that might potentially contaminate my other regular beers given that beer is much more susceptible to contamination.

Hey does george sell some anti foaming agent. I have gotten some from another supplier. It does keep the foam down to keep over flow from happing. But at least u know your yeasties are very happy.

Some retailers sell "Anti-Foam Agent," which isa food grade silicone that reduces foaming during fermentation. Commercial brewers use anti-foaming agent to increase the amount of wort they can ferment in a fermenter and minimize the headspace required for fermentation foam. Edited by: dfwwino

Back