Mosti Mondiale Mosti All Juice Bucket as a Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isnt the foam caused by C02.... which is a by product of fermentation? If you try to limit the C02 wouldnt that retard the fermentation process?

The anti-foam does not retard or limit the CO2 at all and works directly on the foam during the boil or primary fermentation. I can just image the amount of foam produced in a large brew vessel since I know how much I get in my brew pot with 5 gallons.

I also found this info:

"The silicones in the anti-foam get adsorbed by the precipitated proteins and any left gets taken up by the yeast. I guess the molecules are too big to combine with the small proteins that contribute to beer foam stability."

see... i learned something new.
smiley14.gif

Antifoamers or defoamers are surfactants (surface active agents). The don't inhibit the production of the CO2 by the yeast, they just break the bubbles and let the CO2 escape. There are many food grade defoamers, and the use rate is so small (less than a drop of active ingredient per 6 gallon batch) that they have no effect on the wine.

I thought I'd mention that I read an item about anti-foaming agents in brewing in the current July-August 2007 issue of Brew Your Own in the Wine Wizard section. It addressed anti-foaming agents in depth, pointing out that in addition to allowing brewers to ferment more beer in a fermentation tank, it also increases hop utilization and improves beer foam on the finished product.

Latest posts

Back