More Slurry or Be Patient?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahunaJR

Reaction score
Making a strawberry wine and thought I would use the slurry for my 1st batch of SP. I had to use a 20 gal PF since I added 10# of frozen strawberries. So yesterday I moved the wine to SF, I filled a 5-gal., a 1-gal and most of another 1-gal. I had about 1+ cup of slurry and kicked off the SP.

Well, today I noticed that the second 1-gal. was maybe 1/3 lees. I must have been to aggressive tilting the PF to get the most wine.

I'm not sure the SP is taking off yet so I am wondering if I should take the extra wine out of that gallon and use more/all of that slurry (when does lees become slurry? Or am I way off-base?) to add to the SP? Or... Be patient

I thought if all was bad, I had an extra, different type of yeast I would use if really needed. Any thoughts??????

If it was me, I would pour the liquid off the gallon and dump the rest in the skeeter pee. Or maybe just dump the whole works in, depending on my mood. Arne.

Arne said:
If it was me, I would pour the liquid off the gallon and dump the rest in the skeeter pee. Or maybe just dump the whole works in, depending on my mood. Arne.

You know, I was kind of thinking the same thing about tossing the whole thing in there. Thought it might be a good combo of the strawberry/SP.

I looked this morning after giving it a good stir last night, and had a good head of foam on it so it has taken off!

Now I am still considering tossing that partial 3rd gallon of strawberry in anyway! I like your advice about "depends on my mood"!!!

Joe

One thing about home winemaking, you can make it any way you like. One thing about messing around with any recipes, keep good notes. That way when you want to make the "Best wine I ever made" again at least you will have an idea where to start. This comes from experience. Arne.

Latest posts

Back