more lees than anything

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetoomany

Reaction score
ok have made grape wine plenty atime.and only get 5% or so of lees..first time making fruit wine..used canned apricots and apricot nectar..fermented fine down to 0.0.....put it into a carboy ,put airlock..came back an hour later and starting to settle..but just seems im going to end up with 20% wine and 80% lees..skeeter pee?or can i filter wine out of the lees? is this normal?

Usually these will compact into a about 10-20% for me. Skeeter Pee is a good idea reguardless. If this is still fermenting I'd wait it out and see if they do compact down for you.

i was pretty sure its not fermenting .the sugar is gone.but there are micro bubbles mlf?well just wait and see..how many months in the carboy?be for racking ,back sweeting and campden

i was pretty sure its not fermenting .the sugar is gone.but there are micro bubbles mlf?well just wait and see..how many months in the carboy?be for racking ,back sweeting and campden

I would do this when fermentation is complete - take SG readings - when they are the same for 3 days and it is less than 1.000 - consider it done.

Bubbles could be CO2.

Probably degassing, mine does this.

ok just jumped the gun over excited..lees shrank down to about 40% over night..that i can live with..i dont have any fancy equipment..so how long to wait before racking..30 days? then how long before sweetening?first sweet wine ever

Back