RJ Spagnols Monastrell-Petit Verdot?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still waiting as well.

For those in the US that have theirs, who did you place your order with?

Do you mean me Bluenoser? Mine is waiting for me at my supplier with my Grand Red two as of 2 days ago. Got the call. :)

I was thinking more of our American friends. But I am surprised yours just arrived - I got me about 3 weeks ago and I am on the other coast from RJS. And on the Canadian totem pole - The West is way above , us down east.

I was thinking more of our American friends. But I am surprised yours just arrived - I got me about 3 weeks ago and I am on the other coast from RJS. And on the Canadian totem pole - The West is way above , us down east.

I think it's just a matter of saving the best for last ;)

Just got the email that they should be shipping late this week or early next week.

That also includes the Nero d'avola for those that pre ordered.

Picked one up in store today. Making it for a friend. Looking forward to comparing it to an Australian PV i did.

cheers

Came home today and found a Monastrell-Petite Vedot and a MM Meglioli Amarone on my doorstep. What a fantastic day! :h

I heard this is a 16L kit that comes with a grape pack. Does anyone plan to do any tweeks like add raisins to boost the body? I usually go with 18L kits and am wondering if this would end up being a little light?

I tend to be quite conservative with LE/RQ kits. Experience tells me the quality of the ingredients is better in those kits than the run of the mill kits I normally buy. I haven't tinkered with the RQ kits and have not been disappointed.

This particular kit has oak chips for the primary but no oak for the secondary. May have to consider adding some cubes for clearing. I will see how it tastes after it clears. Whatever I do, it will be rather conservative.

Good to know you haven't been disappointed. I've yet to try LE/RQ kits yet. I've made a couple of other 16L kits that I haven't been overly happy with. They ended up being way too thin and flat for my liking; since then I've been a little weary of going with another.

However; I am tempted to go with this one though because of the type of varietals. I think I read somewhere that the Petit Verdot grapes are supposed to be super concentrated, which might the difference with this being a 16L.

Last edited:
Good to know you haven't been disappointed. I've yet to try LE/RQ kits yet. I've made a couple of other 16L kits that I haven't been overly happy with. They ended up being way too thin and flat for my liking; since then I've been a little weary of going with another.

However; I am tempted to go with this one though because of the type of varietals. I think I read somewhere that the Petit Verdot grapes are supposed to be super concentrated, which might the difference with this being a 16L.

I've heard nothing but good things overall about the RQ kits, and RJS's higher premium kits have good reputations to begin wtih. I wouldn't let the fact that the kit is 16L dissuade you. Keep in mind that not all red wines are intended to be full bodied and concentrated in flavor.

Unfortunately, we don't know anything (and probably never will for proprietary reason) about the nature of this blend. You could assume it is more Monastrell/Mouvedre than Petit Verdot, but it could be the other way around. RJS claims it will give a medium-bodied wine. Regardless, it is not a rather uncommon blend.

Thanks Southern Chemist. Yes, going through the posts on here, it sounds like a lot of folks on here are pleased with the RQ kits. I may have to pick this one up, possibly along with the Italy Nero D'Avola. I'm certainly a huge fan of the dark/black fruit-type wines.

Mine arrived yesterday - EC-1118 in the box. :ft I have D80, D254 and RC212 at my disposal. Part of me wants to try using both the D80 and D254 to see what happens. Thoughts?

The other part of me says just go with the D254. I've had good experience with using that in kits.

It looks like you will be okay as far as the competitive factor: D80 is "Active," but D254 is "Neutral." (http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php)

I guess I don't see the harm, either. Of course, you won't have any frame of reference to compare to, but that is true even if you just used one strain or the other!

I looked for info on what strains are recommended for Mourvedre/Monastrelli. Relatively hard to come by! Most sources say to use a classic Rhone strain, such as SYR (Syrah). Lallemand's charts for the grapes Syrah and Grenache both favor D80 and D254. They are said to tend to favor the same characteristics, so it probably doesn't matter much!

Do you have the means to do two separate primaries, then blend for secondary?

Back