RJ Spagnols Monastrell-Petit Verdot?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Has anyone heard any updates on this one? Last I knew, it was supposed to be released in March. Time is running short. :ft

I am in Canada - Maritime Brew & Wine.

I am still waiting on mine. I ordered from Fine Vine Wines also. Hopefully soon.

Mine is also from FVW and I haven't heard anything from them yet on a date. With the Primitivo preorder, they sent me an email that it's shipment was eminent.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

I called George, he said he expects to receive the RJS RQ edition kits today/tomorrow, and then they will go back out to everyone end of this week, so we'll have them early next week-ish. I ordered the Nero D'Avola and the Petite Verdot.
Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Thanks Heather. I guess I'd better empty some carboys. I have this, my WE Shiraz/Cabernet and soon, Chilean juice and grapes to get started.

What type yeast are you guys gonna use for the montrasell petit verdot? I'd like to do a sub for the best yeast and don't mind babysitting my ferment a bit, but am undecided? Any thoughts are appreciated. I also ordered mine from FVW and am still waiting :)
Kim

I didn't order this kit (though re-reading the description it sounds fantastic). My goto guides for grape-yeast pairings are Lallemand's and MoreWine's, neither of which list Monastrell/Mourvedre or Petit Verdot. I have heard Petit Verdot compared to a "super Cabernet" and it seems to have similar dark fruit flavors and abundant tannins. Personally, I'd go with BM4x4, D21 or RP15. Or, since these are Spanish grapes, you could stick with the theme and go with yeasts isolated in Spain like CLOS or VRB, either of which sound pretty good too.

Last edited:
It is from the Bordeaux region and an intense varietal. I have seen bottles commercially range from $30-150.00 for the few that are single varietal. It is also blended into french reds. I want to see what yeast comes with the kit, but seems like anything good for a Bordeaux would be good for this, too.
Heather

Australia has made a big play for Petit Verdot in the last decade or so and now has the largest plantings. They don't have any trouble ripening the grape as Bordeaux does and are producing several varietal Verdot wines. I'm interested in sampling one soon!

On a COMPLETELY UNREALTED note, I just read that China has stepped into place as the fifth largest wine producer after Italy, France, Spain and California/USA. Should be interesting to see how their industry matures over the next few decades.

Did the Petit Verdot get shipped to you?

Back