Moments of Triumph in Winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0615353

Reaction score
Have you ever had a moment where your wines have truly impressed the harshest critic of them all, yourself (or your wife in my case, lol). I am an admitted newbie when it comes to winemaking (this is my second year) but I have just had one of these moments.

My 2012 Syrah Cabernet was created from 75% fresh Syrah juice and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon grapes from Lanza Vineyards. The winemaking was pretty standard, but this wine survived 4 feet of flooding at my parents house during hurricane Sandy and developed a rubber bung taste and other funky flavors due to constant movement during rebuilding and construction. Over the past year this wine has not only lost this bung taste, but has evolved into a beautiful wine that is the best Cab. that I have ever tasted, and it is still just a baby.

The sweet oak, although heavy for some is balanced by red cherry and tart red fruit (blackberry, cassis, currant). While it is drinking great now in my living room, the tannins still have many years to soften and evolve into secondary flavors. With the success of this wine, despite adversity, I am excited to taste what I will make with 5, 10 or even more years under my belt! Please everyone, share your Moments of Triumph in Winemaking.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all of your help over the years!!!

Wow. Congrats. Very impressive. ... and I would like to add... I love Jersey. Lived there for about 30 years. Great place, great people. So glad that the reconstruction is doing as well as it has.

Latest posts

Back