Mold

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croppy

Reaction score
Hello, I have not been making anything for the last few years and when I went to get check my stuff to get back into it there was what appears to mold on some of my equipment. Is there anyway to get rid of said mold or should I just go ahead and buy new stuff?

Hi Croppy, what equipment are we talking about? If its glass then you can clean and sanitize it. If its plastic hoses, id just buy new ones.

With most glass and metal equipment/parts you could do with boiling water and scrubbing, followed by rigorous sanitization. With plastics you want to be more gentle, so as not to set scratches into the surface of items like plastic primary buckets, because bacteria and mold can easily creep and settle in those, and you will have hard time later trying to get rid of it. Try using cleaners, such as EasyClean in combination with very warm water and gentle scrubbing using a soft bristled brush or dishwashing cloth.

Remember ~~ Never use bleach on anything involving the wine cellar or equipment.
Under most situations mold is removed best by bleach but not this time.

Can you tell me why not to use bleach? Is that the same as C-Brite products which is chlorine based? Such a newb so I appreciate the info!

Thanks for the replies, I'll try picking up some EasyClean and see if that gets it done. its mainly a primary bucket an bottle vinator everything else is expendable. glad I found out not to use bleach before I tried that

Can you tell me why not to use bleach? Is that the same as C-Brite products which is chlorine based? Such a newb so I appreciate the info!

I use sani brew ,which is also known as diversol(chlorine based) when my equipment needs extra cleaning. Make sure to rinse well with plenty of hot water. Otherwise I use oxyclean (with green lid).
I had always used sani brew ,which is the same as c-brite because it came with my 1st wine making equipment and it was referred to me by my local RJS supplier. Since then,having a septic system and being more cautious, I use oxyclean on most equipment. I have never had any problems using a chlorine based product but I would suggest on rubber/plastic not to soak long and on all equipment to always "rinse well."This goes for all cleaning products (the rinsing part)

Remember ~~ Never use bleach on anything involving the wine cellar or equipment.
Under most situations mold is removed best by bleach but not this time.
What is the reasoning why you shouldn't use Bleach? I've seen this said in Forums before, but I never questioned it.

I use OxyClean(Green) and either K-Meta solution or Star-San.

Though, I have seen sites say it's fine to use Bleach, as long as it's prepared correctly... proper Ratio to water and needs to be rinsed very well.
However, it seems it's fine to use but, I agree why would you use it when there are so many better alternatives out there?

The reason you are advised not to use bleach is that a common wine flaw, called "cork taint," can only develop in the presence of chlorine. This flaw results in a wine that smells of moldy, damp cardboard or wet dog. This is what is meant when someone opens a bottle of wine and says "Ewww, this wine is corked." The substance responsible for the flaw is called TCA (2,4,6-trichloroanisole), which obviously contains chlorine. Get rid of the chlorine, and TCA cannot develop.

The reason you are advised not to use bleach is that a common wine flaw, called "cork taint," can only develop in the presence of chlorine. This flaw results in a wine that smells of moldy, damp cardboard or wet dog. This is what is meant when someone opens a bottle of wine and says "Ewww, this wine is corked." The substance responsible for the flaw is called TCA (2,4,6-trichloroanisole), which obviously contains chlorine. Get rid of the chlorine, and TCA cannot develop.
Thanks Sour Grapes, for explaining that to me.

Back