mold in airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvr06

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question. So, I noticed there was some mold buildup in my airlock from a batch of red welchs that I racked over about 2 weeks ago. The wine is about 3.5 months old, this was my 3rd racking. I fill my airlock with K-meta and I change the solution at every racking.

Is this common or is it an indication of something else going on? Thanks for any info.

Joe, the indication is you are not cleaning out your airlocks. I'm confused on how you ended up with mold in an airlock that has a k-meta solution. Did your wine boil up into your airlock. If this happen's you should always clean the airlock out immediately.

Hey guys, I have a question. So, I noticed there was some mold buildup in my airlock from a batch of red welchs that I racked over about 2 weeks ago. The wine is about 3.5 months old, this was my 3rd racking. I fill my airlock with K-meta and I change the solution at every racking.

Is this common or is it an indication of something else going on? Thanks for any info.

I just use cheap vodka in my airlock and have never had a problem with mold. I can see where it might be a problem with water, even with kmeta in it.

I've had this happen with a welches in a s-shaped airlock with k-meta . I changed to 3 piece airlocks . I was scared of the wine so I dumped it because I just wasn't sure of it.

Thanks for the advice. I don't believe the wine boiled up into the airlock. I should have mentioned it's a 3 piece airlock that I'm using.

If you're having mold in the airlock, then the meta solution might not be strong enough. Vodka is also another good solution, as Thig stated.

I've only used water. The only mold I've ever got was in the crack of the bung base where water collects if you over fill the airlock. That said I do not bulk age mine for months. I don't have the room, I finish, sweeten, clear and bottle.

Latest posts

Back