Mojito Skeeter anyone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks seriously awesome delicious.
I'm making some in spring.
And to think all this time I've been fermenting grapes like a sucker.

Ok, since I have grapefruit & oranges in mine too, the grapefruit has overpowered everything else. I added 3 cans limeade concentrate to see if it would help, seems to have worked a bit. Anyone have any other ideas to tame the grapefruit taste?? :(

One of the general rules I learned as a chef. You can always add but you can never take it back out…of course, as I said, YOU CAN ALWAYS ADD. Double the batch, split to two carboys, add sugar to balance and add more of everything except grapefruit. But then, Oh no, you've got twice as much wine as you intended?!?! I think EVERYONE on here has the solution for THAT problem!

Redboatny , how did the "quality testing " go - did it pass.

About 10 folks have tried it, 2 said it was too minty but they have never had a mojito. The rest liked it. I like it too much and prefer it on ice.

I want to make a 3 gallon batch.

Do you have a recipe for 3 gal?
I love mojitos and I've never tried making lemon wine. Hit me up.

Sry. I see you posted a 3 gal recipe.

I may modify it with a liter of mojito mix if I can find a preservative free one.
I wonder what a few drops of artificial rum flavoring will do before botteling.

I just started a batch.

8 x 1L bottles "Great Value" lemon juice
16L Hot Tap Water (to dissolve sugar)
22 Cups Granulated White Sugar
3 Limes sliced thin
4 Mint Leaves

Starter...
2L "Great Value" White Grape Juice Heated to 90 degrees (to dissolve Sugar)
1 Cup Granulated White Sugar
Lalvin EC-1118

image-2548041862.jpg

image-1354776268.jpg

image-1711240035.jpg

image-1627424301.jpg

image-2147735830.jpg

Looking good ! I have my second batch clearing now, about a week in. Got some bottles washed tonight for 5 gallons of Cranberry skeeter going in the bottle Friday night.

I was going to wait 2 days to pitch the starter.

I added a pack of Montrachet to the lemon must to soak up any preservatives. Sprinkled on top with 1/2 teaspoon yeast nutrient. Sound right?

I was going to wait 2 days to pitch the starter.

I added a pack of Montrachet to the lemon must to soak up any preservatives. Sprinkled on top with 1/2 teaspoon yeast nutrient. Sound right?
I have not heard of that method, interesting. I usually just stir the crap out of it and/ or let it "air out".

I figured the hot water and stirring will break up the sulphide that was in the lemon juice. I didn't add any additional k-meta as when I poured the lemon juice on the hot sugar water I got a familiar waft of sulphur.
This is the same method I used for my recent Ribena Black Currant wine that had k-meta and sorbate in the concentrate.
It worked like a charm.

Hoping for a repeat.

Could you "fortify" the Mojito with Vodaka. One of my favorite drinks is Vodaka and lime. I haven't started a batch yet - waiting to clear some carboy space.

Dino466 said:
Could you "fortify" the Mojito with Vodaka. One of my favorite drinks is Vodaka and lime. I haven't started a batch yet - waiting to clear some carboy space.

I did that once with a Shiraz. Gave it some punch and it helped to clarify and stabilize the wine quickly. Though the taste for a red wasn't considered "desireable".
I'm gonna add 1 or 2 cans of Mojito mix on this back of Mjo-Skeeto for back sweetening... If my ferment takes off that is.

Well here's how mine looks. Gotta say, it's one of my faves so far. Next batch will be just the lime & mint though.

image-151758573.jpg

Looks good! I was wondering if yours was finished. I have batch number 2 about a week away from bottling. Bottled 51 cranberry skeeters (12 oz.) last night, and am getting tired of scrubbing Corona bottles.

Nice! I would like to do beer bottles but for now I have to stick to wine bottles. Cranberry sounds great, I'm gonna have to try that. I have a blueberry skeeter clearing right now.

Sweet job. My pee is not taking off...at all.

I used 8 1L bottles of Lemon Juice for 7 Gallons.
Too much lemon?

Latest posts

Back