Mojito Skeeter anyone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh i am so gonna have to make this one. It sounds wonderful.

Made my MOJITO Skeeto 7 months ago. We are NOT too fond of it, probably made it too minty. But we had some premixed Margarita mix left over & put about an once & a half in a wine glass with the MS & what a difference!! This may be OUR solution as what to do with the remaining 18 bottles! Roy

My Mojito Skeeter smells a little off...

Found this thread and started a batch of Mojito Skeeter last Thursday (May 29th). In the last couple days, I noticed that it smelled just a bit like rotten eggs...not terrible but definitely a little off. I have read that Skeeter Pee can do this and it seems my lime version is falling victim.

I think one of the things I did wrong is put the batch straight into a 3 gallon carboy after the must had started fermenting and I was just giving it a few shakes once a day instead of a good stir. So yesterday I splash racked it into a bucket, added the last bottle of limeade and nutrients (it was at 13 brix) and have stirred the heck out of it several times.

The mixture is fizzing like crazy so I assume it's fermenting well. The smell hasn't gotten worse, but I don't know if it's gotten better yet. Is there anything else I should do to make sure that my Mojito Skeeter turns out okay?

Even though it's fall I'm going to give this a try! I love mojitos so I'm curious to experiment with this! Thx for sharing your recipe - I'll update how it's going at some point.

My mojito skeeto is just about done fermenting and the yeast slurry I used was from a batch of DB made from 4 fruit blend. It was pink and my mojito skeeto is still pink! Wondering if adding green food coloring will turn it brown or if I should just let it stay pink? I had read that they lose color as they ferment but I am at 1.00 and it's still pink :-(

I just started a 5gal batch of mojito skeeto tonight. This is my first skeeter pee. I ran across this thread a few weeks ago and put the recipe in my notes to try some time. I have a friend that makes a simple lime wine and it is absolutely great.

Last night I found some 100% Key Lime juice marked down at the grocery and decided to pull the trigger. I can't wait to try it, as I love Mojitos and lime wine!

I picked up a bag of key limes today to throw in the must, as I was short about pint of lime juice for a 5 gallon batch (I bought them out). I figured I'd wait until the yeast takes off really well before adding them. Anyone got any words of wisdom about using fresh fruit in this recipe? I did recall seeing others using fruit previously.

Thanks in advance,

My mojito skeeto is just about done fermenting and the yeast slurry I used was from a batch of DB made from 4 fruit blend. It was pink and my mojito skeeto is still pink! Wondering if adding green food coloring will turn it brown or if I should just let it stay pink? I had read that they lose color as they ferment but I am at 1.00 and it's still pink :-(

I'd think true skeeter pee would be red. All those little shits drink is blood, right? :pee:

I'd run with it.

Strut - that took me a minute to get the joke! Lol funny! It is actually a neat color so I'm not going to mess with it - can't wait to try it!

Pitched my starter into the primary today. The house smells like margaritas!

My batch is finished, and has cleared up nicely on its own. FG was kind of high at 1.010, but I'd say 10% is plenty strong for this drink :d I thieved a soda bottle full and force carbonated it last night. It is very drinkable, even without back-sweetening or the mint. Tonight I'll play around with the adjuncts to see how I'll proceed. I know I'm going to carbonate at least half of my 6 gallon batch.

I'm going to call this Mojkeyto, since I used Key Lime Juice :)

Here is the label I came up with. Turns out my final gravity did drop some more so I'm close to 14%. I'm going to bottle 3 gallons this weekend, and bulk age the other 3 until I free up a keg to carbonate.

16049351081_370350b583_b.jpg

Got a cranberry/orange going in secondary. Seems to be still fermenting? Bubbling, already added sorbate, do I add more or let it sit?

I have 6 gallons of the Moskeeto Pee bubbling away in the carboy. Closer to 7 gallons now after adding in the starter and second addition. I forgot to record when I started it, but it was less that a week ago. Started at 1.085 and hit 1.040 today so added the second addition.

I was expecting a slow/quiet fermentation but wow is it vigorous. The foam easily reached the top of my fermentation bucket. Granted, there was not a lot of room left, but still...

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Thanks for the recipe fellas!

Since I made a 6 gallon batch I used an entire bottle of mint extract. At first it was WAY too minty. But over the past three months is has really mellowed in the bottle and as of right now is very enjoyable. I look forward to drinking some ice cold during the hot summer months over some yard work.

I've had a couple request for this recipe, even though It isn't finished. Everything is going well as of now, so here goes:

This recipe is for a 3 gallon , Mojito flavored Skeeter pee

You will need (2) 5 gal. primary buckets
4 pints realime juice
5# sugar
1 can frozen fruit concentrate ( I used apple, white grape was considered)
yeast energizer
yeast neutrient
liquid pectin enzyme
Champagne yeast or equivalant
mint extract (spice area walmart)

In first primary (yeast starter): add frozen juice, 2 cans water, splash of lime juice,sprinkle of neutrient and energizer. Test with hydrometer, adjust to 20 brix.

2nd primary (must) gets:3 pints realime,1 tsp energizer, 2 tsp neutrient <1/4 tsp liquid pectin enzyme, enough water to make 3 gallons. Adjust sugar to 20 brix. (add 1/8 pound per gallon to raise 1 brix) I used about 3.75 pounds.

Stir both well (airiate) and leave for 24 hours, covered.
After 24 hours, add yeast to starter bucket, cover loosely, then go read the wine forum until the next morning.
When you see active fermentation, add about 1 qt. of the must, stir well. Give it about 12 hours, if fermentation is active, add the rest of the must.
Stir up daily.

You should still have 1 pint of lime juice. In a clean wine bottle, combine with 2 tsp neutrient, 1tsp energizer, 2 oz. sugar, and a couple drops of pectin enzyme. shake well, put in the frig.

When the mojito skeeto gets down to 10 or so brix, stir in the remaining liquid.

Ferment to dry in primary, rack, and stabilize with sorbate and Kmeta.
Sweaten to taste and add mint extract to taste, allow to clear, bottle.

I will update as this progresses, I may also try lime zest at some point, and put a mint leaf in a few bottles.
Thanks for the interest!

I know this is an old thread ... but just wondered if the recipe has been updated? Just finishing my first batch of original pee. My lime tree is ripening and thinking this might be a good use for it!!!

I might try making this as a winter batch to have it ready for spring/summer. I am also interested if the recipe has been changed/improved over the last few years

I know this is an old thread ... but just wondered if the recipe has been updated? Just finishing my first batch of original pee. My lime tree is ripening and thinking this might be a good use for it!!!
Lucky you, you have things getting ripe, we have everything freezing off. I have been adding lime to s.p. for years, gives it a nice bit of additional flavor. Usually cut back some on the lemon and add a bottle of lime. (Don't have any lime trees.) Good luck with it, Arne.

Back