Mosti Mondiale MM Vinifera Castel de Papa - Wine Volcano Preventi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexPKeaton

Reaction score
Just racked my Castel de Papa yesterday. and put some of the wine in a separate glass jug per the videos online.There hasn't been a wine volcano (I didn't rack until about 1.014 sg), so I was going take the wine in the glass jug and add it to the wine in the carboy today.
I just opened the jug and it was full of gas. I left the top off for a few minutes to let all of the air out. Should I still add the extra wine to the carboy, and if so, when should I add it? Thanks for all of the help.

Went ahead and added the 1/3 gallon or so of wine that was in the separate glass jug to the wine in the carboy. SG was 0.994, so I think I'll avoid the wine volcano, just hope the 18 hours in the separate jug didn't hurt the wine.

You should be OK.....I've made two of that kit, I added some oak to the second one and bulk age it for a bit...It got to be a very nice wine..

Thanks again for all of the help so far. Trying not to ruin this first kit.
Have been in the secondary for about 48 hours now, still at 0.994 SG. Looks like fermenting has stopped. According to what I've read, if the SG is the same for 3 days, I should rack the wine again and degass. Is there any concern that the wine was only in the secondary for 3 days if I rack again tomorrow? I didn't add the oak chips until I racked the wine on Sunday, so the oak chips have only been in there for a couple of days.
Thanks again. Picking up another carboy tomorrow (to rack the wine) and another kit from George. Amazing how addicting this whole thing is.........

If your carboy is topped up good, you will be OK to leave it for a few more days, to get all the goodness out of the oak...
And yes this hobby can be addicting...LOL.......GOOD LUCK

I would add the sulfite and degas in the current carboy. Top up and the wine can stay there for a couple of weeks to get the full extraction of the oak. It will also drop a lot of fine lees during this time. After a couple of weeks rack to a clean, sanitized carboy.

Let your wine sit in secondary at least the number of days called for in the instructions, Alex. Even if the SG is stable for 10 days. Degassing will be easier and it is never a good idea to rush through steps in wine making. I believe that people who preach about relying on the hydrometer are referring to the situation where you have waited the number of days called for in the instructions and the SG hasn't quite gotten down to where it is supposed to be.

I know you have probably already stabilized this wine and maybe ever racked it? So next time just let it sit in the carboy awhile before stabilizing. I like to stabilize on day 20 if the SG has been steady below 1.000 for a couple of days.

Thanks everyone! This forum has been very helpful.
Stopped by FVW yesterday to pick up a fresh carboy. They also thought I should leave the wine for a couple of days with the oak.
I'm going to wait until Saturday to stabilize. degas and rack the wine again. We're going to run by FVW again Saturday to grab another kit, maybe a different manufacturer just to try something else.

AlexPKeaton said:
We're going to run by FVW again Saturday to grab another kit, maybe a different manufacturer just to try something else.
Try a Cellar Craft Showcase before the new owners of CC have a chance to change the kits up.

So, last weekend we finally bottled our first kit - the Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Castel de Papa. Honestly, the wine was really bland. I realize that it's the cheapest kit and that it (should) get much better over time, but I thought the taste would be the opposite of bland, i.e. very harsh and/or sour.
So, will this wine gain some flavor or is this the best I can expect with the lowest-level kits? Or, did I somehow mess this thing up?

Did you top off with water or an inexpensive similar wine? These low end kits usually end up being a disappointment by everyone that makes them. No doubt it will improve with 3-6 months of aging. They usually are all pretty thin in taste and the only way to help them is to top off with wine and perhaps add some post fermentation finishing tannin like Tancor Grand Cru.
Step up to the Renaissance line with Mosti they have much more bang for the buck for not much more $$.

We topped off from a cheap (but decent) Cotes du Rhone, so it wasn't the fact that we added water. We went with a RJ Spagnols Grand Cru International Collection for our most recent kit after starting a lower-level RJ Spagnols kit

Mike,
I'd disagree somewhat on the across-the-board 'disappointment' with the Vinifera Noble kits. I have made a number of them and appreciate them for what they are - quick-drinkers that don't require lengthy aging time. They don't have great body, but neither do most of your cheaper commercial wines ($4-$9/bottle). You won't get a great, big red from them, but for Beaujolais-like reds or whites, I don't see the point in spending more on the bigger, 'better' kits. I wouldn't buy a VN cabernet sauv., since I know how much better the Red Mt. Cab is, but I don't appreciate whites enough to make it worthwhile to even consider the Meglioli Chardonnay.

I also get comfort from cracking open a 'cheap' bottle after dinner (especially if we already finished off one bottle!) and not worrying about whether it should have aged longer or if it will go to waste if it isn't drunk within a few days.

That's what is amazing about wine making. Someone will always like what you may not.
I didn't single out the VN kits per say, just the 10L reds kits in general. I have heard of a few of them that seem to be pretty good for a 10L red kit but most folks (not all) are usually disappointed in them. Most folks will be much happier with the outcome of a 16L kit in the red kit lines across the board.
YMMV as they say!

BartReeder said:
I also get comfort from cracking open a 'cheap' bottle after dinner (especially if we already finished off one bottle!)

I like the way you drink, er, think, Bart!

Well, I felt like I owed the good people at Mosti Mondiale an update - four months in the bottle and this wine has improved significantly. I guess I should listen to people when they say it's going to take a few months for the wine to actually be enjoyable - they were right!

It's actually a nice daily drinker now. I'll probably make this again pretty soon.

Back