Mosti Mondiale MM Merlot (old Vines)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
Started this Tuesday, ??
SG is at 1.055, Directions ask me to add the yeast nutrient about now... but there was no nutrient with the kit.
I know these kits are being revamped a bit but my question(s) is this:

I have nutrient here, should I add it or just let it ferment out?
Will it make a difference in the final product at all, or just take longer perhaps?
(is this just another failsafe that they are putting in to make these kits error proof)?

Thanx in advance
smiley2.gif

It sure wouldnt hurt it to do so. I do believe its just a fail safe option.

I read in the Scott Lab guide that, ideally, yeast nutrient should be added at three points during fermentation to help avoid off flavors that may develop from stressed yeast. I'm sure there were some caveats, juice/yeast combinations that may not have benefitted and that I am over generalizing, but I've been trying to follow that recommendation on the last several batches that I've made.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to compare to and I make a lot of other alterations as well.

I have this one in the bottle. I started it Jan 2009. It tasted great at bottling time. I did not use any yeast nutrient during fermentation.

You are correct Admiral, the starting SG was around 1.110??? +/-

Looking to finish with ABV around 14.5% - 15%

I didn't think it could hurt so I added about 1 tbs,(yeast nutrient), to the batch and let it stand for another 24 hrs to see that it didn't volcano on me, and then at 1.028 I put it in the glass. Oaked it and .... Oh darn some of it didn't fit again
smiley4.gif
!
AHHHHH !

Pretty good without the oak, but Merlot is much better well oaked and aged, can't wait, should be fantastic on the big 50.... (2yrs out) along with my MM Cab Sauv that is buddied up in the glass beside it !
20091118_194241_IMG_0329.JPG

Newest test on the left... 6 gal Apple wine fresh from Adams county, Pa.
Degassing today back sweetening tomorrow. Added a pound of Golden raisins at the beginning hope it was enough to get a medium body out of it and during 2ndary ferm added 2 sticks of cinnamon....
wasn't sure how long to leave the spices in so I only had them in for about 4 days, if I want more spice in it can I add them as it bulk ages?

Looking good, Fly*Guy! I don't know about the spices post fermentation. Most recipes (meads and ciders) have the spices in primary. I'm sure it won't hurt.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back