New to this with 3yr old vines -spacing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butchersong

dangerous newb
Reaction score
I have planted some rather vigorous varieties like Frontenac with my initial intent being more an ornament for the yard at our farm but I keep adding vines over time. Ive made some arbors and wired walls and the vines seem to be doing very well. My question is, is there some ideal ratio for production between vine roots /nutrients and leaves that causes everyone to trim their vines? I feel like I could allow these to grow massively without impacting sunlight and the recommended spacing seems very anemic to me. Why add vines when I can allow these to expand and add nutrients from the farm?

Like I said, initially they were just an adornment for the yard but I am investing in so many vines now that I do not want to cripple my production with poor planning if I try to get more serious about the wine making.

Last edited:
Grapes are pruned to ensure fruit production rather than excessive foliage. Unpruned will eventually result in just vine with no fruit.

Grapes are either spur pruned or cane pruned. If you are growing on an arbor or wall, you probably will want to spur prune your vines. As far as spacing, Frontenac should be spaced with 6 to 8 feet between the vines.

If you don’t want grapes, let them go wild but it will be difficult to prune properly if you change your mind.

Grapes are pruned to ensure fruit production rather than excessive foliage. Unpruned will eventually result in just vine with no fruit.

Grapes are either spur pruned or cane pruned. If you are growing on an arbor or wall, you probably will want to spur prune your vines. As far as spacing, Frontenac should be spaced with 6 to 8 feet between the vines.

If you don’t want grapes, let them go wild but it will be difficult to prune properly if you change your mind.

Could I not allow them to grow to the size I want and then prune for grape production after that size is reached so that energy isn't going towards new growth? I know commercial growers have settled on spacing for optimum output so I am probably just being pig headed but I'm not sure I understand why it is needed. Maybe it is just a factor of the labor involved keeping up with larger vines?

You can do anything you like. They are your vines. I was explaining the purpose of pruning and why unpruned vines may not produce fruit and certainly will not produce quality fruit.

I’m sure some other folks will have opinions.

Latest posts

Back