Mosti Mondiale MM AllJuice Reisling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
smiley22.gif
Hi all,

Gina and I brought home a MM AllJuice Reisling from our pilgimage to Mecca, AKA- The Winemaker's Toy Store, and we started the kit today. Gina got me a "Winemaker" ball cap and shirt for Christmas, but I decided to let her wear it today because the Reisling is "her"
smiley2.gif
wine.

Here she is with her kit...
smiley32.gif

20080113_190345_My_Reisling.jpg

Unlike the first four kits Istarted, Gina insisted that we actually read and follow the directions with hers...
smiley11.gif
Here she's preparing to pour the must into the primary fermenter.

20080113_190851_Directions.jpg

Wow, she didn't spill a drop. Wonder if it was those directions...
smiley5.gif

20080113_192012_The_Must.jpg

After adding the Bentonite,

20080113_192424_Bentonite.jpg

And stirring with my newly acquired toy, the Fizz-Ex...
smiley1.gif

20080113_192823_Fizz_Ex.jpg

and checking the specific gravity,

20080113_193753_Specific_Gravit.jpg

She was finally ready to pitch the yeast.
smiley4.gif

20080113_193200_Pitching_The_Ye.jpg

Hmmm, wonder if there's enough room in there...
smiley24.gif

I'll keep ya posted on our progress.

Ken

K&GB said:
smiley22.gif
Hi all,

Hmmm, wonder if there's enough room in there...
smiley24.gif

I'll keep ya posted on our progress.

Ken

Looks good Ken and if this doesn't foam up too much you will be fine but you really need a 7.9 gallon primary. The 6.5 gallon bucket will work but eventually you will run into trouble overflowing the bucket with a vigorous, foaming fermentation.Edited by: masta

Good to see Gina willing to share the hobby with you, even if running the camera is all for now
smiley36.gif
.I did an all juice in the smaller primary like this, found it was a little better without the airlock and the lid just loosely set on top until racked to glass, helped with the foaming over problem. Let us know how it all turns out for you, looks good!

Well, we woke up this morning to the familiar smell of baking bread. Mmmmm.
smiley14.gif
A thick layer of suds had covered the top, so we put the lid on and installed an airlock. Temp was a little low at 66 degrees, so we're thinking about a warming blanket.

Thanks Wade, we sanitzed everything with K-meta solution. Masta/JW, I've used this primary before with a 16 liter WE kit, but it didn't seem as full. I'll have to keep a close eye on this one. If it starts to foam over, I may split it between two primaries. Now that I think about it, I divided my cab between two primaries for the first four days due to the same concerns. But my whites have never seemed to ferment as vigorously as my reds. Then again, I fermented my whites at lower temps.

Gina, great job not spilling a drop!!!!
smiley36.gif
Let me know how your reisling comes out. That may be the last kit I do until the Fall.

I am waiting for a Piesporter kit from George. That and a Reisling will be nice for the hot AZ summer months!!
smiley2.gif

Enjoy the process~

Kathie

Thanks for the encouragement all. Turns out the primary was big enough after all. Fermentation has settled to the steady fizzing stage with the airlockbubbling everyfew seconds. Smells great!

Gina's shy about the discussion forum,but I'll keep you all up to speed on her progress. She actually has the maddening ability to ignore the wine during this most exciting of stages. While I poke my head into the pantry at least once an hour just to watch the airlock bubble, she goes about her business with an air of complete detachment.How can she be so calm!?!?!
smiley5.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
(Between you and me, this forum isthe only thingkeeping me from tinkering with our wines during every spare moment offree time. Gina thinks I'm obsessed,
smiley29.gif
but I'll never admit it.)</BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV dir=ltr>Wait! I feel an uncontrollable urge to go checkthe temp and SG.Is the airlock still bubbling? Has anything changedin the lastfifteen minutes?
smiley22.gif
Gotta calm down. Get myself under control. Deep breathing. That's the ticket. Innnnnhale. Exxxxxhale.
<DIV dir=ltr>
<DIV dir=ltr>There, I feel better.
smiley2.gif

<DIV dir=ltr>

Ken, I bet when you are at work Gina goes in there and gets all glassy-eyed and gives the ole fermenter a big hallaluyah "I LOVE THIS HOBBY".

That's me fessing up to checking on it again last night. Not sure if Gina acts differently when I'm not around. She is a mysterious woman...
smiley1.gif

Ken

K&amp;GB,
Does that kit include oak?

If it doesn't it is like the MM AJ Trebbiano I started this week. With that kit I wonder why MM wants us to transfer all the must including the sediments at SG&lt;=1.02. Why not just leave it in primary? Anybody know?

The clarifiers that MM uses work better in a high solids environment, so they like to have akk the sediment transfered.

Jack,

No oak with the reisling.

I was wondering about the instructions also. My primary is sealed and has an airlock, so I'm not sure what purpose it serves to transfer into a carboy before fermentation is complete, except that I get to see all the pretty little bubbles.
smiley1.gif
But I'll follow the instructions and transfer the whole works (including sediment) into a carboy,... probably tomorrow when Gina's off work.

I'm interested in watching how the liquigel and siligel work (after fermentation is done). The same clarifiers came with my MM Alljuice sangiovese, but I moved the wine outside into cooler temps after stabilizing. Consequently, the clarifiers never worked. Last weekend Itried Kieselol-Chitosan (Super Kleer), and it appears to have worked because there's a large ring of sediment at the bottom. I'll find out for sure when I rack it again this weekend.

Edited by: K&GB

My reds cleared just fine using the MM supplied clearing agents and following the directions but those 4 kits all had oak which was to be added at secondary and subsequently stirred.MM instructions seem to imply that secondary starts at SG&lt;= 1.02 when they instruct us to rack everything over oak. They further say to stir the must after racking to aid oak extraction. Clearly, as Peter indicates, there is a desireablehigh solids environment under those conditions.

Not so with kits that don't contain oak. If I read those instructions correctly, no stirring is required for those kits. So, the only mixing of solids occurs when the must is racked at SG of 1.02 and they begin settling as soon as racking is completed. Those instructions don't make sense to me and I kind of like them to.....

K, moving the wine to a colder environment inhibits clarification due to the increased density (sg) of the wine at colder temps. There is a very complex equation that determines clarifiaction rates, and one of the factors is difference in density between the particles and the liquid. Colder liquids are more dense, so clarification is harder.

Peter,

Thanks. I really appreciate the in-depth information in all your posts.Here's a follow-on question regarding my sangiovese. As I mentioned, since liquigel and siligel didn't work, I tried Super Kleer last weekend. I was planning to rack that one again today or tomorrow, but now I'm concerned. It looks like the Super Kleer worked because of the sediment at the bottom, but the wine is still in the garage where the temps are pretty cool. Should I move the wine indoors and let it warm up for a few days before I rack it again?

For that matter, I keep all of my wines that are now bulk aging in the garage where the temp is in the low 50sF. Would these benefit from being indoors where the temp is closer to 70F?Edited by: K&GB

Latest posts

Back