Additives unique to kit wines? (Allergic reaction)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Junior
Reaction score
Hey - just started winemaking here and I am really liking it. Something came into question though the other day, when I was telling my mom I had started making my own wine.

She said that a few years ago on a ski trip, she had a glass of wine that was made at our local winemaking store. She said she had a very bad reaction to it: it made her tongue itch and swell. Sounded like an allergic reaction to me. This was a regular grape wine, so not an unusual type of wine. Don't remember if it was white or red.

She expressed concern that maybe homebrewed wines have something added that commercial ones don't (or added in such a quantity that they could maybe cause a reaction?)

Since she is a regular drinker of commercial grape wines, I know she doesn't just have a general sensitivity to wine, so I believe her. I don't think she has any allergies and she can eat fish/shellfish (though she claims gluten sensitivity and egg sensitivity and does not eat them now, but she did then; still that would be a thing that affects her digestion and does not cause a direct allergic response like this).

Wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar or know someone who has reacted like this to kit wine. Pretty sure this was a kit wine brewed on site at the store. If I recall, the wine also tasted normal for the most part and didn't taste "gone bad" or anything.

What additive could this be? She has no issues with any commercial wines; most wines she drinks are $10+/bottle if it makes any difference.

If possible I would like to figure out what that additive might be that triggered this and avoid using it or find an alternative.

Thanks,

Wooden

Could be the amount of sulfites added. You will see this note on all commercial wines.

Some others more knowledgeable on this can add to it and get more in depth.

I've always heard most commercial wines have more sulfites than most home wine, but then again. The home winemaker change easily change that.

Swelling of the mouth sounds like it could be sulfites.

Sulfite Allergy
Symptoms of an allergic reaction to sulfites include:

• headache
  • rash
  • hives
  • swelling of the mouth and lips
  • wheezing or trouble breathing
  • asthma attack (in people with asthma)
  • anaphylaxis

the amount of sulfites in commercial wine is greater than what is in home wine. I would also think the allergic reaction would occur regardless of level.
check with the kit manufacturer to see if there is any possible reaction to standard additives. I am not aware of any and I have been making kits for over 30 years. It is possible the store added something above the kit instructions that may have caused a problem. as the reaction does not seem, sevear I suggest a test taste with a kit wine and see if it still causes her a porblem

Last edited:
IMHO, without more information, it could be anything. You say a "regular grape wine". But, it could have been something blended for the holidays, or an Island Mist blend. Maybe even cross contamination with a holiday blend.

Could be part of the process the LHBS used. Maybe they filtered, and she is allergic to something in the filters.

I doubt it is k-meta (sulfites) since that is in most commercial wine. Maybe the LHBS over sulfited.

I'm guessing it is an allergy to the clearing agents used. That can be different from wine to wine.

It could also be something the Kit maker adds to stabilize the juice. If there is an f-pack, it could be a flavoring additive.

Have her try a straight Red that you made. Minimize what you use (I don't use any clearing agents). That would help narrow down the possible suspects.

BTW: I get "tongue itch and swell" from eating some fresh apples.

Back