Mosti Mondiale MM All Juice Castel Del Papa

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I then placed the lid on the plastic fermenter and set it aside awaiting the beginning of fermentation, which should start in 12-48 hours.

20071007_214732_Winemaking_Phot.JPG

Winemaking is that simple. However, I cleaned and sanitized every piece of equipment that came into contact with the juice and yeast. For most of my equipment, I sanitized with Iodophor Sanitizer, which I use for brewing. Most winemakers sanitize with a sulfite solution. I like Iodophor because it requires less contact time to sanitize and is easy to use. I am also very sensitive to Sulfite solution, which irritatesmy nasal passages and causes me difficulty breathing with very little exposure. Edited by: dfwwino

I am soooo impressed!!! Chat. d. Pape is my husband's favorite wine!! I wish I could get the All Juice here in Ohio!! Keep us posted on the progress. When do you think you will open your first bottle??

Francie

Francie you can get the Castel de Papa anywhere. It is All Juice, not the Frozen Must. Just call George!

<TABLE =Catalog id=productsnew borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=center border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =table align=default width="2%">
<DIV align=center>MMS58 </TD>
<TD width="5%">
<DIV align=center>
mmaj_sm.jpg
</TD>
<TD width="20%">

Castel del Papa

Ruby in colour with flashes of ripe black raspberry purple, you will surely be charmed by its ripe fruit, lavender and spice aromas.</TD>
<TD width="2%">
<DIV align=right>$119.99</TD>
<TD width="2%">
<DIV align=right>$119.99 </TD>
<TD width="5%">
<DIV align=center>Stocked </TD>
<TD width="15%">

Add to Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

OMG!!! I didn't think I could get the AllJuice!!! I am so excited!!! I think I will be calling George later this week!! (I get paid on Friday!)

Thank you "Appleman"!!!!!

DFWWino,
Great job!
smiley32.gif
I started an Mosti all juice yesterday! And yes, it is that easy. Ours had been stored in the basement, so I had to warm it a bit with hot water before starting it. Bucket in tub, warm water on top, pour it off, more warm water... Blah, blah, blah. I have to start planning for this stuff! Very nice job on the tutorial.

Thanks all. Francie, I'm glad you found out the Mosti All Juice Sterile Must is available year-round.

PWP, I envy your cooler weather. It was another 90 F day here. As you can see below, I had no problems getting the fermentation started even with the air conditioning at 72 F.

24 hours after pitching the yeast, fermentation is well underway and very robust:

20071008_221009_wine2_043.JPG
Edited by: dfwwino

This afternoon was Day 7. The SG had dropped to .0094, indicating the fermentation was complete.I could have racked on Day 5 or 6, this fermentation went so robustly. Here's what the fermented wine looks like after seven days:

20071014_183834_WINE3_034.JPG

Per instructions, I stirred the sediment back into the wine with my racking cane. I then racked(siphoned) the wine into a six gallon carboy with an autosiphon:

20071014_184207_WINE3_035.JPG

20071014_184302_WINE3_037.JPG

20071014_184355_WINE3_036.JPG

And here's the fully racked six gallon carboy:

20071014_184505_WINE3_038.JPG

I have deviated from instructions slightly. Rather than add the oak chips at this step, at the next racking in two weeks, I will add the sulfites and sorbate, degas and add House Toast Stavin Oak Cubes. I will let the wine age on the oak 2-3 months, then rack and add the finings. I took a very small taste and it was very good for seven day old wine. Edited by: dfwwino

Thanks of the picts df, Good job.

Why did you deviate from instruc tions on the timing of oaking? And why Stavin cubes?

Wade, I'm too tall to notice how that dishwasher needs a wipe. LOL.

Jack, the oak chips do not add nearly as nice an oak flavor as the Stavin cubes do. Many others either use both the chips and cubes, or toss out the chips and use the stavin cubes. As for the timing, the instructions call for only two weeks of oaking (between the secondary fermentation with sediment and next racking two weeks later), whereas I prefer two months to add a decent oak flavor. Edited by: dfwwino

Tonight, I began Step 3. I racked the wine into a clean six gallon carboy. I added potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate after mixing each with a little water and then pouring it in. The sulfites preserve the wine. The sorbate prevents refermentation. I used my power drill and drill stirrer previously shown in the photos above and stirred the wine in the carboy vigorously for several minutes to degas the wine. Degassing artificially drives off CO2 gas in the wine, which is a byproduct of fermentation. I then used my Vacuvin to further degas (the pump used to preserve wine). I will degas three more times over the next 24 hours. I'll try to take some photos of degassing tomorrow. After degassing, I will add 3 oz. of Stavin French Oak Medium Toast Oak cubes, top up the wine, and let it age 2-3 months until sufficient oak taste is extracted. I will then rack again and add the finings. Edited by: dfwwino

And the taste so far???????

C'mon man...inquiring minds *need* to know!!!

Young, yes! Harsh, yes, Flavors of Rhone? Potential? You've had enough of them to taste around the rough...trust yourself....there is no try...do...or do not...

Okay, I'm waxing to Yoda, because I'm a wine geek who is very excited about this wine.

Como'n Dean..wipe that drool off your chin man...thats disgusting !!! Can't be letting these newbies seet that, it will scare them off.

HEY DF...Whats up buddy !!! Good looking wine ya got going there. Taste pretty good ?

I can see that I failed all of you. Yes, I did taste a sample. It obviously has some young, harsh flavors. But it does have potential. I don't know that I could detect the varietal characteristics of Rhone blends yet, but I also was tasting this wine after having a glass of my 2004 Blueberry, then taking samples of my two-week old MM Frescos of Moscato and Cabernet Sauvignon. All tasted pretty yummy. I can't wait to see what the CDP tastes like after two months of aging on oak cubes. I did the second round of degassing this morning. I've gotten most of the gas out of it. The color and body are very nice.

I just completed round 3 in the 24 hours of degassing the wine. Here's a photo showing the degassing with the power drill and drill stirrer.

20071103_180442_036.JPG

Latest posts

Back