Mlf??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should wait at least 6 weeks before really focusing on testing. If you have wine topped up there shouldn't be a problem. It may take 8 weeks or more too finish.

Use your taste buds to keep from using so many tests. Wait until the flavor hasn't changed dramatically (this is assuming that an earlier taste change was noted) for a couple of weeks. Advice given to me is when you think it is done wait another month, then test.

You should wait at least 6 weeks before really focusing on testing. If you have wine topped up there shouldn't be a problem. It may take 8 weeks or more too finish.

Okay so I'm just being impatient I guess I'll let it ride and test in a few weeks. Real fast though you mentioned to keep it topped up which makes sense. In both my Zinfandel and my Cabernet carboys I have about 2 inches of air space underneath the bung. The only thing I have to top up with is a gallon jug of the Cabernet that was left over which is also in MLF. Whould you use that to top up both the Cabernet and Zinfandel? Even though it's not the same varietal in the latter case? Obviously I have nothing else to top up the Zin with since its in MLF.

I would top it with the cab. You need to reduce the headspace. You could always go buy a bottle of zin

That would be the perfect top up wine. You could probably add the whole gallon and not alter the wine enough to even taste it unless you have a very experienced pallet.

The only thing I have to top up with is a gallon jug of the Cabernet that was left over which is also in MLF.

Im putting my cab from juice threw MLF and its at 1.000 still foaming a lot when stirred no k was added pitched rc212 10-8 is it safe to add bacteria now or wait till it goes all the way dry? Thanks for your input!

Sure, as long as the temps are in range, pH, ABV You should be good to go. Have you racked off the gross lees yet or still on them?

Nope still on them should I rack then add MLB? Temp 73 f abv is 12.5 haven't tested acidity yet what should temp, abv and acidity be? First time doing MLF

Last edited:
You can but then should wait ~72 hours before racking the gross lees off so either rack now which is fine or add and wait a few days. I usually leave mine on the lees for about a week to compact before racking as long as there is no off smells or odors. If you dont rack before hand you will be stirring up the gross lees once again so tradeoffs when it comes time to rack you could say.

Ok thank you Mike and I got the other questions answered lol I read the other thread ML fermentation thanks again!

Ok good points all around I will just top both up with the Cabernet. Another question for the experienced MLFers? ;) During MLF I am stirring about twice a week to stir up the bacteria and light lees. I read this somewhere, is this a good practice? Would you stir it more often than that?

Hello all and happy soon to be Thanksgiving! A question for you. So it has been 2 months now since I started MLF. I am out of test strips however the tartness of the wines is gone and it tastes very nice and round. The Zinfandel almost taste a little light. I don't have any more means of testing the MLF so at what point would you just go by taste and rack off and add the S 02 and is there any danger of doing so if MLF is not done? What would you guys do? I think it is ready but not really sure if MLF is done.

My opinion, for what it is worth (only have done three MLF secondary ferments).

If there was a noticeable taste change, you definitely got the MLF going. Other than throwing in a whole bunch of SO2 or dropping the temperature 20 degrees, I doubt there is anything you could do to interrupt it. My guess after eight weeks is that it is done.

Are you sure you can't get more test strips or a test kit to verify this? Would be the safest thing to do. If not, the only downfall I know of, is that the ferment could start up again in the bottle. I highly doubt this could happen, as I highly doubt you could arrest a MLF fermentation once it gets going.

Just my 1.5 cents (inflation) worth.

I think I would let it sit another month. Don't do anymore opening and stirring during that time. Keep the airlocks full. I always think to several wineries I have talked with about MLF. They put the wine into barrels, keep them topped up over the winter and then test for completion when it starts to warm back up. There are some that don't even add any bacteria, they have been doing it long enough, it is just in the air. I don't go that far, I test after two months and always give it a bit more time.

Hi, I'd get some more test strips. They last 2 years. Taste will tell if you've made improvement through MLF, but can't tell if you're done. Strips will give you the answer, somyuncan add SO2 without worrying about refermentation some time in the future.
Reluctant Chemist

I get them from my LHBS. They test for malic acid but they are a little expensive and having never done an MLF before I burned through the pack of about 10 in the first month and a half lol.

Back