Quantcast

MLF Friendly Yeast for Co-inoculation in Cab / Merlot blend

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

joeycannoli

Reaction score
As the title states, do you have a recommendation for a MLF friendly yeast? Planning to do a co-inoculation this weekend with our cab / Merlot blend. I was going to use BM45 but their description states it’s not MLF friendly.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I use BM4X4 all the time with MLF and have never had a problem (knocking on wood).

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll reiterate what Jim said above, BM 4x4 has been 100% successful on all of the MLF's I've done in conjunction with it.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I used to wait until after I pressed. The last couple years, I've been co-inoculating.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
My 2¢— if you are using a strong malo bacteria and co-inoculating then it almost nullifies any yeast’s mlf “unfriendliness” anyway. If doing sequential-inoculation then it becomes more of an issue, but the bacteria is otherwise getting to work early before the yeast can alter the environment- especially the abv. A co-inoculation bypasses the issue as long as both the yeast and the lactic bacteria are properly fed along the way.
Using BM4x4 or BM45 on a merlot (unfriendly varietal apparently) in sequential-inocc might give a hiccup I’ve read here. But as long as you’re co-inoculating I doubt yeast selection would affect it at all.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Not doing any this year. Just doing 300 lbs of a red into rose. Picking up grapes on Saturday, getting a knee replacement in two weeks. Wife wants it all under airlock, ready to leave alone for a few months prior to that.
I’m doing the same, two 60 gallon barrels and a 30 gallon barrel with 18’s and 19’s. Gotta give it a break.

Johncifelli

Junior
Reaction score
I accidentally used baker's yeast in my 50 gallons of must. Am I screwed or what?

Latest posts