MLF Friendly Yeast for Co-inoculation in Cab / Merlot blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeycannoli

Reaction score
As the title states, do you have a recommendation for a MLF friendly yeast? Planning to do a co-inoculation this weekend with our cab / Merlot blend. I was going to use BM45 but their description states it’s not MLF friendly.

I used to wait until after I pressed. The last couple years, I've been co-inoculating.

My 2¢— if you are using a strong malo bacteria and co-inoculating then it almost nullifies any yeast’s mlf “unfriendliness” anyway. If doing sequential-inoculation then it becomes more of an issue, but the bacteria is otherwise getting to work early before the yeast can alter the environment- especially the abv. A co-inoculation bypasses the issue as long as both the yeast and the lactic bacteria are properly fed along the way.
Using BM4x4 or BM45 on a merlot (unfriendly varietal apparently) in sequential-inocc might give a hiccup I’ve read here. But as long as you’re co-inoculating I doubt yeast selection would affect it at all.

Not doing any this year. Just doing 300 lbs of a red into rose. Picking up grapes on Saturday, getting a knee replacement in two weeks. Wife wants it all under airlock, ready to leave alone for a few months prior to that.
I’m doing the same, two 60 gallon barrels and a 30 gallon barrel with 18’s and 19’s. Gotta give it a break.

Latest posts

Back