MLF for Small Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
Seems that people prefer the dry MLB to the liquid but I noticed that the dry seems to come in 2.5g packages that are good for 66 gallons. I am only making 6 gallons so should I try to measure just 0.25g or does it come in smaller packets that I am just not seeing?

Too bad the liquid form isn’t reliable because it seems to come in vials that are meant for 6 gallons.

Do as @cmason1957 says. I divide my MLB packets into four portions when I get them. I did this the last couple of season and used each in 15gl batches. All have completed MLF. I put into vials and put in the frig. But vacuum sealing would be better.

This last season I sucked the lees off the bottom of a carboy that was well through mlf and put it in a fresh carboy. It took off and completed quickly. I’ll do this from now on when I have multiple batches.

I often try and re-use ML bacteria in one season for different grape varieties, but that's usually just a week apart. I'm mostly inclined to open a new packet when there is too much time between two applications, just because I don't want to risk a stalled MLF. Here's what a common ML bacteria's instruction say (CH16):

"Open VINIFLORA CH16 malolactic bacteria packaging immediately before use. Do not store any leftover product in the open package since air and moisture will render the product inactive within only a short period of time. For this reason, the contents of the package should never be broken down into smaller container units since exposure to the air would damage the bacteria cells unnecessarily."

Back