MLF Bubbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce67

Junior
Reaction score
Our Zin from grapes is doing nicely. They were pressed after 10 days in the primary, MLF bacteria was added and all are sitting in the carboy. It's been about 4 weeks since MLF was added and I still see very small bubbles occasionally rising along the carboy neck but I need a magnifying glass and a flashlight to see the bubbles. Am I wrong to assume MLF is continuing? Could it be carbon dioxide relaeaing?

Thanks;
Bruce

Could be either, or both. Four weeks is quick, but certainly possible. My thinking is you're almost done, but not quite. But you need to test to be sure.

Just like with alcohol fermentation bubbles or lack thereof mean next to nothing. Only a test will tell you if MLF is progressing. I doubt you are done after just four weeks, but you can run a test a see. I am at almost two months and might check a few of mine this weekend. Even if the tests show done, I'll leave them be for another week or two, just to be certain. Patience is rewarded.

MLF and testing

You van continue waiting as long as you're topped up. The MLF could be done, depending on the temp, pH, and inoculum level. Only testing will tell. Chromatography is OK for screening, but not that convenient for 1 or 2 wines. A chemical test like the ACCUVIN Malic Acid test can tell you if you're really done, or if you're not, where you are. Bubbles alone can help judge if MLF is underway, but can't judge completion.

It could be done. What MLF bacteria strain did you use and what temperature did you have it at? Also what was the pH when you pitched the bacteria, was it in the range stated for that strain?

I just did two different batches this fall and they "tasted" done after three weeks. I waited till five weeks to test and they appear to be done, but will wait another week or two before I kmeta both batches. No hurry as others say if you keep the carboy topped up.

Almost forgot. I've had a batch that showed absolutely no bubble activity, but the last two batches did, so you can't really rely on that as an indicator with any certainty.

Latest posts

Back