MLF after 1 year. Can it be done.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xriddle

Reaction score
Last year was my first year making wine. So I wanted to experiment.
I made two 54-liter batches of RED ( Merlot/Cab/Sangiovese) one with MLF and one without. Turns out the MLF made a huge difference. After some reading I think I can try to start MLF as long as my SO2 is not to high. If that's the case what's the lowest SO2 can be to start MLF. Anything else i'm missing?

I used Lalvin Bacchus ... Has anyone tried anything else. Bacchus seems to the way to go but its a little pricey.

Thanks

http://www.brsquared.org/wine/Articles/MLF/MLF.htm

I use WYEAST 4007 ($7.95)

4.1 Total and free SO2 concentration

Most LAB are sensitive to free SO2 concentrations above of 10-20 mg/l or above. Total SO2 is usually kept below a maximum value of 70 mg/l (for reds) and 40 mg/l (for whites). Molecular levels of 0.6 mg/l are inhibitory, whereas levels of 1.2-1.8 mg/l are strongly inhibitory. Keeping molecular levels below 0.2 mg/l is desirable. It should be noted that O. oeni can degrade acetaldehyde. Thus, if SO2 were previously added to the wine/must and subsequently became bound with acetaldehyde then the action of MLB upon this bound complex will results in an increase in free SO2.

Cheers!

Update: Just got my SC-300 ... What a device ...

So after 1 year of aging in demi:

SO2 = 16pp
pH = 3.36
Ta .60

Added MLF (Bacchus) this morning will keep you posted with results.

Latest posts

Back