Mixed fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TikiWine

Reaction score
So I gave a friend that has around 20 muscadine vines in the back to yard. They said i can use it. The only issue is they don't know which type of grapes they are and that tgereis a mix of red and white. Without knowing how to separate. Is it possible to ferment them all together or would I need to to ferment separately?

The first year I would do it on the skins, see what the wine wants to be. Be sure to check the brix and acidity. My guess is that it would end up being a rose-ish, serve cold type wine, where you would want lower brix 22, and a lower pH 3.3.

So I gave a friend that has around 20 muscadine vines in the back to yard. They said i can use it. The only issue is they don't know which type of grapes they are and that tgereis a mix of red and white. Without knowing how to separate. Is it possible to ferment them all together or would I need to to ferment separately?

As @NorCal said, field blends work great. I've never worked with muscadines, though I have experience with hybrids and vinifera.

My only caution is that there is such a thing as too much skin contact, especially when it comes to American grapes. Your stylistic choice is the main driver here. At first blush I'd go for 2-4 days max for the first time. See how that ends up. Longer times with vinifera add the goodness of tannin and body but longer times on hybrid skins can result in off flavors with no benefits of tannin. Foch can be overly strong with only 4 days on skin.

Without knowing more about your grapes, it's hard to say. Maybe consult a local winery for suggestions.

Ok so my plan so far is to pick, crush and destem. Then measure brix and pH. Adjust if necessary. Add kmeta and sit for a day then add yeast. If I'm only leaving the skin on for 2_4 days do I need to add more yeast when I rack off the skins? Or just let sit for 2 days then rack and add yeast?

If I'm only leaving the skin on for 2_4 days do I need to add more yeast when I rack off the skins? Or just let sit for 2 days then rack and add yeast?

I never let the must sit after adding kmeta for more than an hour. The yeast can take it and most of the kmeta gets bound anyway. Definitely get the yeast going. They will work on breaking down the skins and yield you more liquid at press.

No need to add more yeast after pressing. They will be ripping along at that point.

Back