Mini Oak Barrels for Fruit Wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I bought some of these mini oak barrels from Red Head Barrels (great company, great service, very cool little (and big) barrels). I've been using them for commercial whiskeys and ports and so forth, to add flavor and as a fun addition to my bar. I'm new to wine making, but have been making some fruit wines to get going - Welch's, apple wine, pear wines, DB, etc. Question for you guys -- do you think any of these fruit wines would benefit from some time in a little charred oak barrel? These are 1 liter barrels, fwiw.

Thanks,

JAG

IMG_0967[1].jpg

I don't make a lot of fruit wines, but blueberry is one of the very few I would put on oak.

It never hurts to experiment but I don't think fruit wines can benefit much from oak. Most fruits can stand up to oak and will loose most of their fruity characteristics IMHO. Having said that if you are trying to mimic say a chardonnay with an apple or pear wine then some oak might be helpful but I would start with oak chips or cubes and run some trials first before risking a few gallons of otherwise good fruit wine. Used barrels might be better as well to gain some subtle oak flavors.

Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured it wouldn't work so well, but thought I'd solicit opinions. I may try some of the pear in one of them.

outbackmac - The reason I would use something so small is because that's what I have. I buy these for whiskey and cognac and so forth - pour a liter in the barrel and let it sit for a while, adds some flavor. I have a couple with nothing in them right now (other than water, you can't leave them empty after curing them). I may buy some larger ones, he sells sizes from 1 to 20 liter.

Let me be a little more positive - I think a number of fruits benefit from oak. I have some aronia berry right now sitting on french oak chips that is coming out nicely. And I agree with Boatboy that blueberry benefits. As does chokecherry and apple.

I don't know how good those barrels are. But sure, try to experiment and see what happens.

I like the look of those barrels !

I like how you are using them - now with whiskey and such

I've been considering getting a wee 1-2 L barrel myself, mostly for my port-style fruit wines/meads. I think a 1 L would be a great size for a 1 gallon batch as you can then blend that 1 L back in to the rest of the batch.

I think it would be a great experiment to try. I've liked oak in my apple, pear, blackberry, and raspberry meads and wines.

Good to hear all the above, thanks. I think I may try some of the apple and some of the pear (I have several batches going and need to rack anyway).

As for the barrels, they seem pretty good to me. The seller had a quality control issue with one batch, but immediately replaced my order when he realized it. I also had some I bought from a guy on eBay, and those were absolute garbage. But these are decent. I cure them with hot water and let them sit for a week or so, rinse them again, then fill with whatever. The seller has a youtube channel with a bunch of ideas - for example, I cured one with Old Smokey Moonshine (really just a mead), then put a liter of Woodford Reserve in it. Gives a nice flavor.

I like to oak some of my Apple Wine. Age it over 18 mo, we prefer 24. We have it on oak cubes for 3 mo. Small batches like ur barrel could easily over oak Apple but it would be easy to blend with non Oak. To us the aged Oaked Apple tastes like an oaked Chardonnay. Roy

Latest posts

Back