Mini jet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious, did you get a chance to use it before buying it? Why did your friend decide to sell it? Just wondering because I use to have one and sold it also. It did a nice filtering job.

He used it once and felt it changed the taste. I have read that they drip some.

He used it once and felt it changed the taste. I have read that they drip some.
I teetered on the edge between this and the All-in-One and really decided on this only because a friend had one and was happy with it. Got it brand new for $150, with hoses and 10 packages of #2 and 5 packages of #3 filters. Have now used it 6 times (mostly with the #2 filter - once a #3 on my strawberry Riesling). Yes, it does leak, even with everything tightened down as much as I dare, but it's not a whole lot and I catch it into a spare bottle. Even the leaked stuff has been filtered so I just add it into my filtered batch. Many comments about a preference for the All-in-One vacuum system (and I myself may eventually go that way) but I don't think you'll be displeased with the mini-jet.
As far as changing the taste? Hmmm, not sure about that one. Keep in mind though that using the #3 filter may possibly have some effect there. The #3 filters down to 0.5 micron and is considered a "sterilizing" filter (removes remaining yeasts and other fine goodies)

Last edited:
I would most likely buy an allinone and whole house filter if i had it to do again, after a few hours of reading, but since i have a mini jet(sorry Steve) i'm going to say it works very well and is easy. I just filtered 6 gallons and it dripped a total of 6 times for the whole 6 gallons and it took 13 min. I did tighten until i felt the handles could take no more.

JerryF;424610 The #3 filters down to 0.5 micron and is considered a "sterilizing" filter (removes remaining yeasts and other fine goodies)[/QUOTE said:
I will caution you that the #3 filters for the mini jet are not sterile filters and you cannot rely on it alone to prevent fermentation. They are 0.5 micron nominal filters which means they filter in a range that averaged about 0.5 microns and some larger particles do pass through. In order to sterile filter you need a filter with 0.45 micron absolute capabilities. That means nothing bigger than 0.45 will get through it.

They will polish up your wine nicely though and make it sparkle!!

I gave mine away, I hated the thing. Leaked everywhere.

Well at least I paid too much and it might not work well, but I'm having fun.

Well at least I paid too much and it might not work well, but I'm having fun.
Great way to look at it! Really sorry to rain on your parade. After I posted I thought wow, I should have just kept quiet. On a good note, I paid more than you did for mine.

You didn't pay too much and many of us started out with the same one. It retails in the US for any wheres from $179 to $259. Amazing what some folks will charge. The link I gave you is the only place in Canada that is that cheap. They are friends with the manufacturer. We don't mean to scare people but sometimes can't help sharing our experiences. We gave you some of the negatives but the positive was it does a very good job. Two or three years ago it was the cats as$. Today there are more choices.

I have just recently sold my mini and super jet filtration systems (within the past year or so ). They do filter well, but they do leak and the cost per filtration compared to Whole House filtration is a big difference.
Use it and enjoy it !! If you ever decide to sell it - you will not take a beating on it - compared what you bought it for.

Very ignorant question from the newbie - are wine filtration systems different to water ones? What is the difference? What is a good system for a beginner?

Very ignorant question from the newbie - are wine filtration systems different to water ones? What is the difference? What is a good system for a beginner?

Here is a good link -
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/review-whole-house-wine-filtering-36589/

this is a water filtration system - but it uses different filters than you would use normally to filter eater with. In order to use this type of filter you would need a vacuum pump or a pressure pump to make it work.
There is also the gravity filtration systems as well - not sure how much wine you are planning on filtering ?

Thanks for link.
Unfortunately, as I can't get glass carboys I use plastic bottles and therefore, no matter how much I want the allinonepump, I can't use it or any other vaccum pump. That said, I think gravity systems would be best, as I currently make 5 liter batches, soon moving to 20 liters. So it's not a lot (unfortunately)

Please don't get us wrong - the Buon Vino filters (mini and super jet) are fine products and do a great job filtering! I used my minijet for years and still use my superjet now and then even though I do have a whole house filter. I think a mini jet would be just the right size for you, Captain!

Latest posts

Back