Might have killed the yeast....eek!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, whew!

Do you think it was/is so different because it's got more space in the bucket (5 gal in 6 gal pail)? I ask 'cause we'll likely do this again.

Thanks

Yeah, whew!

Do you think it was/is so different because it's got more space in the bucket (5 gal in 6 gal pail)? I ask 'cause we'll likely do this again.

Thanks

As Dugger pointed out, and is highlighted in my signature, you should not depend on visiual signs of fermentation.

I'm a bit surprised that an inexpensive kit from Zellers has an original sg of 1.100. I would have guessed 1.082 roughly. But then I have never made one. I haven't noticed them in the Zellers near here, but then I haven't looked for them either.

Steve

Deanna - no, the headspace in the bucket would not influence fermentation. When you say 5 gal in a 6 gal pail, are you referring to 5 Imp gal ( 23 liters) or 5 US gal ( 19 liters)?

Steve - I was a bit surprised at the high SG as well. It could be because the must was not mixed well with the water to begin with or it could be because the kit was made to 5 gal rather than 6 gal ( I'm assuming these are US gal).

it could be because the kit was made to 5 gal rather than 6 gal ( I'm assuming these are US gal).
Great point. I forgot about that point. It's not something that I would do, so it escaped my mind.

Steve

Deanna - no, the headspace in the bucket would not influence fermentation. When you say 5 gal in a 6 gal pail, are you referring to 5 Imp gal ( 23 liters) or 5 US gal ( 19 liters)?

Steve - I was a bit surprised at the high SG as well. It could be because the must was not mixed well with the water to begin with or it could be because the kit was made to 5 gal rather than 6 gal ( I'm assuming these are US gal).

Hi Steve and Dugger,

They must be the US gal. I knew US & Imp were different but not by that much. No, we have a couple of 18.9 L carboys and I was going to use one of them. In prep, I used a 23 L pail but only put in about 18 or so litres. It was a bit of a guestimation...I just filled to a little higher than the 15 litre mark on the bucket and figured we'd adjust when we rack to the carboy.

I looked back in our notes and we've done 3 from Zellers (you can buy them with an HBC gift card that you can get with Airmiles!! Free wine! Fits our pocket book.). The starting SGs were 1.08, 1.09, 1.08 and the recent ones are 1.086 and the big one in question, 1.1. I'm pretty sure that's what it said. There was a lot of foam so I did have some fun getting the reading.

I won't rack anything for a couple of days. I want to wait for the Pinot Noir to be ready so I only have to wash stuff in one session. We're also going to start two more: Aussie Shiraz (Zellers), and Riesling (Cheeky Monkey).

Cheers :d

and Riesling (Cheeky Monkey).
Finally a GOOD ONE. :p

Could be decision time for you. I believe that this pack comes with a sweetening pack (Vineco web-site lists it as a "1"). I haven't made this kit, but I did make the Cheeky Monkey Gewurztraminer. I made it as per the instructions. Next time, I'll be making it dry. It's not overly sweet but it's sweeter than we like.

So do you prefer a dry Riesling or one that's off-dry?

Steve

Finally a GOOD ONE. :p

Could be decision time for you. I believe that this pack comes with a sweetening pack (Vineco web-site lists it as a "1"). I haven't made this kit, but I did make the Cheeky Monkey Gewurztraminer. I made it as per the instructions. Next time, I'll be making it dry. It's not overly sweet but it's sweeter than we like.

So do you prefer a dry Riesling or one that's off-dry?

Steve

Steve,

I'm laughing and smiling! Yeah, a good one.... Actually, I'm drinking the Cheeky Monkey Gewurztraminer right now! Truly!

I find it sweeter than my preference. My Partner wanted to try it. I'm into dry. I used to drink Bordeaux way back in my youth but then had latched onto something called Grand Vernaux....a French Table wine..... "tasty, yet cost effective" as I like to say. They (LCBO) stopped carrying that one about 4 1/2 years ago.... :-( and I floundered a bit....Now we're making our own.

The Gewurztraminer is okay, but we're trying the Riesling next. Again, Riesling is sweeter than my preference but my Partner likes it...and it's a compromise on whites. We've tried Ken Ridge and the Cheeky Monkey along with a wonderful Aussie Shiraz at Wine Kitz (the 5 week). Those were when we weren't making them at home. The Ken Ridge were...okay...but not spectacular. The Shiraz was great almost from the start...and then kept getting better. They were out when we just went looking. The "Wine Maker's Choice" from Zellers are actually not bad and well...tasty, yet cost effective (or free with airmiles!)! Though we're trying the one in a 5 gal (18.9 L) this time to see if there will be a taste difference. It was okay the last time and then got better as time went along even from the 6 gal size.

How do you make a wine less sweet? (or more, for that matter)

Steve,

I'm laughing and smiling! Yeah, a good one.... Actually, I'm drinking the Cheeky Monkey Gewurztraminer right now! Truly!

I find it sweeter than my preference. My Partner wanted to try it. I'm into dry. I used to drink Bordeaux way back in my youth but then had latched onto something called Grand Vernaux....a French Table wine..... "tasty, yet cost effective" as I like to say. They (LCBO) stopped carrying that one about 4 1/2 years ago.... :-( and I floundered a bit....Now we're making our own.

The Gewurztraminer is okay, but we're trying the Riesling next. Again, Riesling is sweeter than my preference but my Partner likes it...and it's a compromise on whites. We've tried Ken Ridge and the Cheeky Monkey along with a wonderful Aussie Shiraz at Wine Kitz (the 5 week). Those were when we weren't making them at home. The Ken Ridge were...okay...but not spectacular. The Shiraz was great almost from the start...and then kept getting better. They were out when we just went looking. The "Wine Maker's Choice" from Zellers are actually not bad and well...tasty, yet cost effective (or free with airmiles!)! Though we're trying the one in a 5 gal (18.9 L) this time to see if there will be a taste difference. It was okay the last time and then got better as time went along even from the 6 gal size.

How do you make a wine less sweet? (or more, for that matter)

you add half the f pac up front before the fermentation starts !

For a drier Riesling, you might try the Johannesburg (sp?) Riesling if you can find it; I believe it is a drier one.

you add half the f pac up front before the fermentation starts !
Yep thats how you make it drier. To make it dry, add the whole pack up front. Thats what I usually do with the Ken Ridge Showcase German Gewurztraminer.

Steve

That's cool. I didn't know you could alter sweet or dry except by adding sweetener which we tried one time and didn't overly like.

Latest posts

Back