Messed up the Yeast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gallons have their place, but they are just about as much work as a 5 gallon batch. Sometimes you mite want to try a new recipe and only make a gallon. When you find it has become one of your favorites, you will wish you had made at least 5 gal. Then you get to use patience to wait til the next batch is finished. Arne.

When I started out I made all 1 gallon batches, but after I got my feet wet and refined my techniques, I graduated to 5 gallon batches. I do still use 1 gallon jugs for experimentation or smaller batches of fruit wine.

Hi Tom S,

See that you are making some Concord. I have 13 gallons of Concord, but I am not sure when I should filter and bottle it. It's been in the carboys since late September. It has been racked four times since and has been sweetened to 1.012. Would it hurt to bottle it in the near future?

Yeah, being real new at this wine making thing, I thought that I would scale back to one gallon batches after making the 13 gallons of Concord. Last December I started my wine making with a kit, but this fall I wanted to try and start with the grapes. Concord got messed up along the way, but might be OK now...long story...learn from your mistakes. Being a little gun shy from the Concord, I thought that I would try one gallon of strawberry. It's easier to throw out one gallon of juice if it doesn't turn out, but the mess that it makes is about the same.

I need to get back and rack my strawberry. Too much going on and the wine got pushed to the back burner. I need to go back to work, so that I can have some free time.

It probably wouldn't hurt to bottle it soon, but I've found that it is better to age it for a few months longer. I tend to age my wines about a year before bottling. This allows all sediment to fall out to the bottom of the carboy instead of at the bottom of the bottles. Just keep an eye on your airlocks and don't let them get low. One of the benefits is that once it's already aged for a year and then goes into the bottle, you don't have to let the bottles age before opening them up and enjoying them. But your wine will also get better in the bottles, too, if they last that long.

Back