Messed up settling order.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did I ruin my wine?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Joni

Junior
Reaction score
I did the first 10 day yeast and fermentation. Then I racked the juice into the carboy, it was suppose to sit for 10 days more but I mistakenly misread the instructions and skipped that and put in the packages included in the kit. Then I stirred the heck out of it. Did I just ruin my wine? It my first kit wine. Such a beginner.

I did the first 10 day yeast and fermentation. Then I racked the juice into the carboy, it was suppose to sit for 10 days more but I mistakenly misread the instructions and skipped that and put in the packages included in the kit. Then I stirred the heck out of it. Did I just ruin my wine? It my first kit wine. Such a beginner.

Probably not, the sorbate and sulfite won’t normally stop an active fermentation? What is the current specific gravity of your wine.

It's very good to hear. I couldn't sleep knowing that I didn't let it set for 10 days before I added it. Can I transfer to another carboy and let it set again before I bottle?

It's very good to hear. I couldn't sleep knowing that I didn't let it set for 10 days before I added it. Can I transfer to another carboy and let it set again before I bottle?

If you’re worried about “reading it right”, post a pic of the hydrometer floating in your wine so we can confirm the reading.

Fermentation is in its waning stages, just keep it airlocked for a few more days, testing the SG daily. When you get the same reading three days in a row, you’re done, and can move to degassing and clearing agents.
I added everything already. :( What is SG?.

What is “the other”? Do you mean that you also added the clarifying agents?

That’s what I’m reading. Added sulphite and sorbate and clearing agents 10 days after adding yeast.
Not the end of the world. Especially if you were reading .998. It fermented fairly dry already. The 10 day time period you skipped is just to let the last tiny of fermentation finish and allow the wine to mellow out some.
Just don’t rush to bottle. The timelines in the instructions are merely suggestions. But if you age it longer you’ll notice more sediment dropping out over time. Better in the carboy than in the bottle. Degassing isn’t always easy to do manually either. Best way to remove co2 is with time.
Best not to bottle wine that’s way young and rough and hoping it gets good. Better to bottle when you know it’s good. Then you know it will only get better.

Take your time. I’d suggest not bottling till at least 6 months. Transferring with a vacuum pump helps with degassing. Many people recommend the all in one pump which I use as well. Buy a few carboys and put this kit away and try starting another. Once you have a few going, it will keep you active. The worst thing you can do is rush the wine into the bottle.

My rubber cork with the airlock doesn't fit tight? Should it fit in the carboy neck tightly?

My rubber cork with the airlock doesn't fit tight? Should it fit in the carboy neck tightly?

Does it squeeze back out when you push it in? Mine was like that initially. What helped me was to dry the inside of the neck of the carboy and the bung ("rubber cork") with a paper towel.

Latest posts

Back