WineXpert Merlot Kit Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
Started one in April and planning to bottle around Thanksgiving. It's good right now but, aside from more aging, is there anything I can do to smooth it out some? It's just a tad "bitey" right now. Drinkable but could be better. Suggestions ? Thoughts?

I've never tried it but how about Glycerine?

"Use Glycerine in your wine to give it more body. Glycerine increases the wine`s mouth-feel giving it a fuller, more pleasant texture. Glycerine also smoothes over some of the harsh characteristics that are prevalent in most younger wines. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous syrup that has little noticeable flavor except for a slight sweetness. That makes it perfect for taking any wine and turning it into a big, macho red. Glycerine can also be used in cordials to enhance their body."

Is it degaussed? CO2 turns into an acid in your mouth and that makes the wine sour.

Is it degaussed? CO2 turns into an acid in your mouth and that makes the wine sour.

I agree. Kits at an early age ,if it isn't fully degassed will give a sour/bitter taste. If you're thinking of using glycerine though be careful you don't use too much.I think aging it will improve it on it's own.

Four ounces of glycerine or thre or four ounces of simple syrup woll soften it up a bit.

Tonyt - explain "simple syrup" please. I have some glycerine and was going to stir in 2oz at bottling and see if that helped. Again it's not a sour taste but probably from not being fully degraded.

Tonyt - explain "simple syrup" please. I have some glycerine and was going to stir in 2oz at bottling and see if that helped. Again it's not a sour taste but probably from not being fully degraded.

Simple syrup is typically made by combining one cup of water and one cup of sugar and heating until dissolved. The sugar/water ratio can be changed (2:1, for example), but it's basically just a concentrated sugar solution. It dissolves more easily in the wine than straight sugar would.

What SC said above. I actually use Torani brand Pure Cane Syrup because I am the Texas distributor for Torani products. I start at two ounces persix gallons of wine up to six ounces per six gallons. Often four ounces is my sweet spot.

Ok I've got simple syrup and glycerine as options. But found at local store Super Smoother, which is 1/2 oz each of glycerin and liquid oak extract. Opinions on this? A little oak might be nice.

My experience is that degassing is the hardest, and most critical, thing for your wine. I almost gave up on making good wine until I got the allinonewinepump. On top of that just let it age - in spite of what the vendors tell you most kits will benefit from at least one year of aging.

My experience is that degassing is the hardest, and most critical, thing for your wine. I almost gave up on making good wine until I got the allinonewinepump. On top of that just let it age - in spite of what the vendors tell you most kits will benefit from at least one year of aging.
I agree. All the kits I have made taste better with age. A lot of them (cheaper end) say to age 3 months but still need at least 6 IMO.
You never said which Merlot kit you have but oak in the Merlot's I have done do taste better with it so I think that choice would have to be something for your own personal taste.Glycerine does tend to change body and mouthfeel so keep that in mind when using.

Latest posts

Back