Member Bio’s

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geocorn said:
Welcome Steve,

Your starter package just went on the pallet for FedEx to pick up today! If you have any questions, you can post your question here, send me an email or give me a call. We all want you to succeed with your new hobby.
I anxiously await. Hopefully it should be here in a couple days. I am not very far from you. I actually had thought about a road trip and visit family we have just south of you but they are coming here to visit this weekend.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Hopefully you can visit the store in the near future. I love to show off the place and share a glass of home made wine with my customers.

I was in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago. We took our 14 year daughter to New Orleans. Had some great food and walked all over the quarter. Had a great time.

geocorn said:
Hopefully you can visit the store in the near future. I love to show off the place and share a glass of home made wine with my customers.

I was in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago. We took our 14 year daughter to New Orleans. Had some great food and walked all over the quarter. Had a great time.
Yes, it is a great time. Might just go there thisweekend.We live about 45 minutes from the Quarter and you are right about the food. My "girth" has vastly increased since moving to Louisiana. We have many local restaurants that compare with any in N.O. as well.

Hello...

My name is Melanie. Underboss is my husband. With our 2 boys (8 & 6), we don't have a lot of time for hobbies, but wine making seems to be the perfect solution for us.

We are both new to wine making. We have learned a lot from these forums. We have our first 3 kits started and are anxiously awaiting a Cresendo Syrah that George shipped to us yesterday.

From whatI have read in the forums it seems everyone is knowledgable and friendly. I look forward to learning even more from everyone.

Welcome Melanie to the forum and to the great hobby of wine making. It can be very rewarding to make a product that everyone enjoys and is surprised that you made it at home!!

Melanie,

So wine making is becoming a "family" thing at your house. Good for you. My wife and teenage children have been involved with me since day one! It was the first hobby in which Iwas able to get the whole family involved. The kids fight over who gets to fill the bottles and who gets to cork. Nobody like to put the labels on.
smiley19.gif
LOL

welcome Melanie... just bottled the creshendo syrah a month ago, so far i'm holding out pretty good, but from the sample i had during bottling, it was pretty good.... enjoy

Melanie, It's good to have another couple in the forum!
smiley33.gif
Bert called me in to see that we're not the only couple here now! Welcome! Winemaking is a great thing for couples to do together because it really doesn't require that you get a sitter to do this! Your kids will always know just where to find you.
smiley20.gif

Hi everyone!

My name is Alan, I’m another “rookie” to join this forum
who is simply fascinated with the idea of making wine and sharing it with
friends. </span>I was inspired by the USA
Weekend article (House Wines 4/3/05) that featured George and his
starter kit concept. </span><br style="">

My family (wife, two daughters 8 &amp; 11) and I live right
across the street from acres of vineyards, so the idea of making wine with
friends albeit, from a kit seemed really cool.

Anyway, I somehow managed to persuade/encourage/and convince my
smiley2.gif
wife for a wine starter kit. </span>To my surprise she ended up buying one for my
birthday, what an awesome gift it turned out to be! </span>I
have been adding little odds and ends (thermometers, carboy handles etc.) to it
since. </span>

We have converted a closet into a mini wine cellar
where we were able to purchase wine rack kits from Wine Racks America for a
reasonable price. </span>The hobby has
officially begun!
smiley16.gif

Oh yeah, I’m a Program Manager at Yahoo!</span> for my day job.

2005-07-09_230047_ALAN.jpg

Edited by: Sideways

Alan,

Welcome to forum. It is nice to see your picture. Now I can put a face with your name when you call. BTW, I spend a tidy sum every month with Yahoo! for advertising. It is nice to know where some of that money is going. I also have some of your stock. I have been very impressed with Yahoo! for years.

congrats Alan, and welcome... hope the first kit is coming out nicely, what is it??

cb -

The cabernet sauvignon kit </span>appears
to be exactly where it should be according to the directions and
serveral sources. However, we haven't advanced to the point of
testing Ph levels yet. Some people believe this is the most
critical measurement.

So far, we're only measuring SG and temp only... (we're rookies)
smiley16.gif

The kit is in the stabalizing and clearing stage -- A couple of more weeks before bottling.
smiley20.gif

Hi Alan,

I know your first kit brings with it alot of emotions.....ie..caution, doubt, panic, then surprise, amazement andpride.......all of a sudden, you are hooked!!!!
smiley33.gif

A wealth of information here and really nice people too.

Nice to meet you.........RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

ph levels... whats that ??? .... just kidding, yeah keep it simple for us rookies... i'm going to start fermenting fresh juice in the fall, and can't wait for all of these additional headaches!! good luck w/ the cab, i just bottled some woodridge ranch 11 (creshendo kit) and it is phenomenal now, can't wait to taste it in a year

cb -

" i'm going to start fermenting fresh juice in the fall"

Are you crushing your own grapes?

/AR

Back