Mead question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtstar

Reaction score
I have never made a mead before and was thinking of making one useing cranberries and all the recipeies that I have found only called for 1-3 pounds of cranberries where other fruit meads call for more pounds of fruit what the story on this I would like to know before I start my mead:?:?:?:f2:4th r
Question #2
If I buy raw honey for this is there anything that I need to do to it before I use it.

Last edited:
Cranberry??? In think if you want to add more you can. Most of the people up here where I live started making mead from a beer background and use a lot less fruit in everything than I would. I started making mead from wine background and use almost as much fruit as I would with wine. All the other mead makers up think mine turns out great. It is ok to experiment with what your head says is good.
I warm the honey up to 125/130 for 20 minute and skim the wax off top. Others here don't. My reason is it helps break down the sugars for the yeast . Also help break down proteins. This helps in clearing later. The local bee keeper told me to never go over 130 or it start hurting the flavor of the yeast. The local meadary boils their honey. I don't like their mead either. So it goes to both ends. Beer makers like to boil everything.

Latest posts

Back