Mastering Welch's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you all speak of backsweetening with concord, cranberry, etc. concentrate, are you just using straight concentrate, right from the tube, or mixing it with water?

I use the straight concentrate.

Hi, Jim
If I could bug you one more time...
I've read a couple hundred pages in these threads, and I have never read anything about the best way the guys are siphoning or racking from one bucket or carboy into another:
Do you ever siphon from the top of the liquid, or only from the bottom?
I made a piece of PVC, plugged at the bottom, with a few holes drilled 3/4" from the bottom, and my plastic hose is inside the PVC. It works good, except there's a lotta suction when it gets close to the lees, and I tend to suck them into the receiver carboy.
Is there a better way to avoid sucking the trash on the bottom?
Thanks for any help,
jim

you could try putting some cheese cloth, or a straining bag around the end of your PVC.

or you can use an auto siphon, there is a tip on the end to minimize picking up sediment

I use a 24" racking cane along with an orange cap.

Blow in the cap and the siphon starts. The cane has a black cap on the bottom that helps with sediment some. I usually start at the top and push it down as I go.

If I am bottling, I always rack over to a clean and sanitized carboy before bottling. Makes it easier.

The PVC trick is an oldie and a goodie, born of using what is onhand rather than buying everything. It just takes time and practice. So do the autosiphon and the cane.

However you do it, tilting the carboy gently helps. Siphon from the pool that is created. And don't get greedy. I'd rather leave some and have clear wine. You can always put what's left in a jar and in the fridge to clear again, and use that to top off or for sips.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I went down and bought a cane and an auto siphon.
I guess it might be a little better, if I tilted the carboy, maybe a week before I racked?

Thanks for the help. I went down and bought a cane and an auto siphon.
I guess it might be a little better, if I tilted the carboy, maybe a week before I racked?

I guess it depends on how gentle you are with it. I tilt it just before I rack. People have many fancy items to prop them up, but I usually just use a stack of CD cases from the nearby stereo.

Back