Massive Rhubarb Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a girlfriend that has Amazon Prime. She really likes it. She orders all kinds of stuff, even some groceries. She would most likely order it for me if necessary.

One of the stories that makes me hesitant, and I don’t think it was on this prime, but a coworker ordered one of those pull trolley things, to go around flea markets and farmers markets. She waited weeks only to find out that her order had never gone thru Amazon. It had linked her up to a different site and she had no idea it did that. Needless to say, no cart and a bunch of back and forth to get her money back. This kind of thing has just always made me a little hesitant.

We’ll give this guy until the end of this week and if it’s still not in maybe I’ll have my girlfriend order one.

What does that PH20 mean? The second one there, the 46.00 one. Funny, states that it’s “waterproof”. Would that not be a given?

Very interesting. Had no idea what they looked like. Thanks for that.

I probably would have ordered the wrong thing, and then the site would have hooked me up to some scammer and I would be without a meter and my money. Oh boy, I sound pretty jaded and it didn’t even happen to me. But have heard other stories as well.

This is great tho, gives me a good idea what we should be looking at and around how much we should be paying.

I really like your “no shipping cost” strategy as well. Thrifty is good!

What does that PH20 mean? The second one there, the 46.00 one. Funny, states that it’s “waterproof”. Would that not be a given?
Not quite sure what you're looking at - the link should have taken you to a single item. I remembered you are in Canada, (right? ) so maybe the link didn't work right for Amazon, Canada.

OK - I just went to Amazon Canada and the link I gave you did NOT bring up the item. Must not be available there. So - try this -
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071XFRLSN/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The ph scale only goes 0 -14, so unsure what ph20 is. Waterproof means it could be completely submerged in a pool, hot tub or fish tank. For wine you'd just stick the end in the liquid.

Like anything - when ordering from Amazon - look at the fine print.
This one says - Sold by Preciva CA and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Amazon often deals with other businesses to complete (fulfill) your order. Still - I've never had an issue with any of the businesses that sell on Amazon. You can also order a couple wine making books or other supplies and get free shipping.................maybe. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it's in the secondary now - major ferment is over and we all anxiously await the clearing. :D

18th today! Siphoned it all back into the bucket. Dumped out the sludge that was on the bottom of the carboys and cleaned them with water and some of that potassium stuff. Ready to be refilled.

Unfortunately no PH meter yet. Bob called his wine store this morning and they said nothing yet. He asked if it would be best if he just ordered one off Amazon and she said that might be a good idea. So to heck with them. I will call my girlfriend later today. In the meantime, here is the SG reading. Is it looking ok? It seems below the .99 mark. What does that mean?

Got a taste while syphoning and while not a bad taste would like to add some sweetening. I have a bit in a cup sitting on the counter.

20180618_122151.jpg 20180618_122101.jpg

Looks like it's leaning against the tube a bit - but .990 means all the sugar has been consumed and turned into alcohol. That is what "fermented dry" means - and it's also why you think it needs some sweetening. The yeasties have done their thing! Now it needs time to clear.

Hi wildhair, yes, I see what you mean. When I was turning it to get the picture it must have touched the side. Do you want me to get another reading? And it hasn't been bubbling for a couple of days, is it time to add the sugar or not yet? From what meadmaker was saying, it should be at .99 for three days, then some of that stuff to stop the fermenting. Or does it need to clear first?

I dumped out quite a bit with the sludgy stuff. Probably over an inch on the bottom so they will need topping up right? We have these from a local winery here, can you suggest which one we should use. The dark one is a sweet berry wine for dessert, if I remember correctly. Then there's a sparkling and a Frontenac Gris and just a wine. It might even take two of these bottle?

20180618_130233.jpg

This is where we're at with the guidelines:

12. Rack again in 3 weeks. Make sure all containers are topped up. (June 18, 2018)
13. Rack again in 3 months. (Sept. 18, 2018)
14. When wine is clear and stable, bottle.
15. Wine may be sweetened to taste at time of bottling with sugar syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water). Add 2 stabilizer tablets per gallon (or follow directions on package if using powder) to prevent renewed fermentation. To preserve color and flavor, add 1 antioxidant tablet per gallon.
16. Age for at least 6 months.

So based on this, just taste a bit with sugar and put it back into the carboys for another 3 months and then we'll sweeten it before bottling.

No, another pic is not necessary.
No, don't add sugar yet.
The stuff to stop the fermenting is the Campden tablets - 1 per gallon or the Potassium metabisulfite - 1/16 t per gallon.
It would be a good idea to add some at this racking (some add it every rack).

You can either top up with 'just a wine" (save the strawberry - you might want to use it to sweeten and add some flavor later)
OR - you can put the wine into a smaller container(s). I usually opt for using a smaller container. Don't use the sparkling wine to top up.

This is where we're at with the guidelines:

12. Rack again in 3 weeks. Make sure all containers are topped up. (June 18, 2018)
13. Rack again in 3 months. (Sept. 18, 2018)
14. When wine is clear and stable, bottle.

You may need to help it along with a clearing agent like Sparkaloid or another 2 part like DualFine. Then rack again.

15. Wine may be sweetened to taste at time of bottling with sugar syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water). Add 2 stabilizer tablets per gallon (or follow directions on package if using powder) to prevent renewed fermentation. To preserve color and flavor, add 1 antioxidant tablet per gallon.

I allow it to sit for 2 weeks to a month after sweetening and before bottling to make sure it doesn't start to ferment.

16. Age for at least 6 months.

So based on this, just taste a bit with sugar and put it back into the carboys for another 3 months and then we'll sweeten it before bottling.

What a great idea! It should probably fit into the big one and the two little ones now. And good to know, if we need some, use "just the wine" and save the berry wine for later, maybe. No sparkling. Sugar later. Okee dokee, off to sanitize the little bottles. Thanks wildhair.

Oh and is it absolutely necessary to add the campden stuff at this point. That stuff scares me. Each time I use it something unusual happens. I don't think it's fermenting anymore. Haven't seen a bubble in a couple of day and the day I did, it was more just a jiggle in the water on the big one. Little one has been quiet for a while.

OK. Oops, it didn't quote what you said, but that's an OK to your second post.... 3 and 6 months from now.

I add the "campden stuff" usually at the time of the first racking, (now) then the 3rd, then again JUST before bottling. If you just use 1 tablet per gallon, crush it up then add about a cup of the wine to it, stir it until it's dissolved - you can pour it into the wine no problem. Give it a good stir and put the airlock in.

Since it's no longer fermenting, it's no longer producing CO2 making it susceptible to the unwanted invisible nasties. The Campden tablets release SO2 with fills the empty space and protects the wine.

Do not fear the potassium metabisulfite - it is your fiend when used as directed.

Usually by 6 months - if it hasn't cleared, i will give it an assist. Some folks are far more patient than I - they can let it sit and sit and let it clear on it's own.

Also, sorbate. Before you backsweeten you need sorbate 1/2t per gallon to go with the SO2.

I wouldn't have any concerns topping with sparkling or the Frontenac Gris. Any carbonation in the sparkling will come out as it ages. Moving the wine around between different containers may risk oxidation unnecessarily.

Oh my gosh, is that ever a lot of work. Very satisfying though. :) But look what we have now. No additional wine was necessary... yet.
20180618_154637.jpg

But now we have this little bit. Based on what you guys are saying, I guess we have a few options. Stressbaby, are you saying that I shouldn't have put it in different containers, like I just did, because it may risk oxidation unnecessarily. Oh boy, can you tell me what that means?

And I can switch it up again... if I must. Also, have not put in the campden, well the stuff I have is potassium metabisulfite, she said is was campden, just not the pills. I did sanitize everything with it though, including the syphoning hose, the buckets, the bottles, everything got a few squirts... so I'm sure a little bit may have gotten in there.

Wildhair, you say do the 1st and 3rd. I did put some in before we did the first racking and now this is the second, so then I can do it on the 3rd? I would feel very comfortable with that.

And sorbate before we backsweeten. Ok, I don't have that. I will get some before we backsweeten.

I just saw the picture on my desktop from three weeks ago. What a difference.

20180528_202348.jpg 20180618_154637.jpg

Last edited:
Can I just add one of our bottles of wine to the little 1/2 gallon container? It will be different, very different and we could keep it separate from the other 7 gallons? Just thinking of some less labor intesive options.

It's your wine now - add what you want! I make a big batch of apple wine, I put a couple cinnamon sticks in 1 carboy ('cuz I like cinnamon & apple) none in the other - 'cuz my wife doesn't. Go ahead - experiment.

I don't add k-meta every rack - that's why the first & 3rd rack - only because I like to minimize the sulfites in my wine. Some add it every rack.

I think Stressbaby was responding to my - don't use the sparkling wine comment. He's right, of course - it would degas before it was an issue.

Potassium Sorbate is what you need - it's added just before you back sweeten. You have time - your local wine shop should be able to have it by Christmas?

Campden tablets are a pre-measured version of k-meta (potassium metabisulfite)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back