Massive Rhubarb Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL - I didn't want to mention the calibration part just yet............

I had a wolf when I lived in Idaho - mostly jet black with cream socks. Great animal, great with my kids. I'll have to see if I can kind a pic - that was in the pre-digital era.

As for the assistance - plenty of folks here have helped me out, explained things, given me ideas and tips. That's what the Internet is supposed to do - connect people around the globe. Good on you for sticking it out - many more wines will follow.

So 'wolfpup' is real ? No offence CJ, but there were occasions when I thought you didn't exist and that someone had started this thread to take the mickey. Or possibly (as happens these days) someone undertaking academic studies to monitor how people interact on the internet. Good on you for sticking with it. I hope you pH meter arrives soon. Then you have another little challenge - checking it’s calibration with the standard solutions. Cheers

No Mr. Scribe, I assure you, this is simply my wine learning process in action. We live a pretty active life style with our furry companions, an acre of land, working full time and family obligations. A simple life, up here in the Canadian outback’s and not much time for internet, let alone some kind of study to “monitor how people react on the internet”.

To me, an incredible example of finding the right place, (thru sheer luck) reaching out for help and receiving it. Like wildhair mentions perhaps, what the internet is supposed to do. These connections have produced 7 gallons of rhubarb wine sitting on our counter. I don’t think they would be there had it not been for the members on this forum.

And oh boy… here we go. Calibration and “standard” solutions. Standard to you, dare I say it, “old hats”, perhaps, hee hee (reference to senior member previously), another brand new experience for us. I sure do appreciate the one step at a time.

At around 9:00 am yesterday morning my girlfriend let me know that Amazon said… the order for my PH meter had been shipped. Don’t know where it’s coming from but it’s supposed to be here tomorrow. We’ll see. It’s the $17.00 red one that wildhair linked. It was 19.00 in Canadian funds.

She also shared that, much like wildhair, she had signed up for one order to get the free shipping and was too slow on the draw to cancel before they charged her credit card for the year. She said she doesn’t regret it with all the cool stuff they offer but doesn’t know if she’ll get it again next year. If everything comes thru ok, I may look at it. Maybe.

We have the reunion this weekend, 4 hours of traveling there and 4 back but should be back late Sunday. I have Mondays off so that may be the day for readings. I don’t like planning too far ahead though; experience has taught me that the universe just laughs at my plans.

Hi iridium, that is so great to hear that you, as another new person, are following along. I know sometimes I feel a little silly asking questions but this wine making seems so unique to what you are using and what the meter readings are saying.

I’ve tried to follow a couple of other threads and they get way over my head in no time. If this thread is helping others, it’s my pleasure to hear that you are following along and learning too. It’s so great to have the help of experts hey.

Have you made a batch of wine yet?

Last edited:
I have made a couple of batches of wine. I first started with kits and they came with pretty good instructions. I also got lucky and found this forum very early in my journey and read a lot before I really started. One thread I found was similar to your rhubarb wine only it was blackberry. So i ready that a couple of times before I made my first blackberry wine. I have also made a batch of Dave's dragon's blood which is another recipe on this forum. But that is about it. I am enjoying the journey so far that is for sure.

Yeah, it sounds like you took a good route. We probably should have looked into a wine kit before we delved head first into this. But it really was all about using our fruits, which are plentiful. The thought of a wine kit didn't even cross my mind, until I asked for one, instead of wine equipment and was quickly corrected.

As a complete neophyte over a month ago, I look back now and just shake my head. How did these guys ever stick with me. But so happy they did. And from what I'm gathering, there's still a ways to go yet. It's ok, we'll get this done, one step at a time. And then on to all the other fun wines that have crossed this path. That Dragon's Blood looks great, it was also pointed out to me. Definitely on the "carboy" list. :)

Have a wonderful evening.

Yeah, it sounds like you took a good route. We probably should have looked into a wine kit before we delved head first into this. But it really was all about using our fruits, which are plentiful. The thought of a wine kit didn't even cross my mind, until I asked for one, instead of wine equipment and was quickly corrected.

As a complete neophyte over a month ago, I look back now and just shake my head. How did these guys ever stick with me. But so happy they did. And from what I'm gathering, there's still a ways to go yet. It's ok, we'll get this done, one step at a time. And then on to all the other fun wines that have crossed this path. That Dragon's Blood looks great, it was also pointed out to me. Definitely on the "carboy" list. :)

Have a wonderful evening.
You too. I have some rhubarb saved up in the freezer and my mom has a plant that is a great produce as well. So rhubarb is definitely on my carboy list as well.

I have found this forum to be amazing. I have asked some pretty basic questions as well and have received great responses, advice and insights. I hope to be able to provide back someday but still feeling my way right now. So i will be posting my journey with various wines to share the knowledge and information.

That’s great. I’ll look forward to hearing about your wines. I have 25 lbs of rhubarb iin the freezer that’s going to be a straight rhubarb, maybe we can do a joint brew and see how similar or different they turn out.

Apparently there’s a lot of oxalic acid in rhubarb. Have you got a PH meter?

Its early Friday morning here and supposedly Santa Clause (aka Amazon) will be showing up in my town to deliver one today. I’ve heard some stories about good old St Nick and don’t know if I truly believe in him yet or not. We’ll see.

I don’t check our mail box that often but I’m a little excited about stopping there today after work.

Last edited:
Keep reading
The things that are over your head are just beyond you current need, or progress.
As you continue, and issues arise the conversations that apply will make perfect sense.
Or at least enough sense that a couple more questions will clear things up.

That’s great. I’ll look forward to hearing about your wines. I have 25 lbs of rhubarb iin the freezer that’s going to be a straight rhubarb, maybe we can do a joint brew and see how similar or different they turn out.

Apparently there’s a lot of oxalic acid in rhubarb. Have you got a PH meter?

Its early Friday morning here and supposedly Santa Clause (aka Amazon) will be showing up in my town to deliver one today. I’ve heard some stories about good old St Nick and don’t know if I truly believe in him yet or not. We’ll see.

I don’t check our mail box that often but I’m a little excited about stopping there today after work.

I have a pH meter but it does not calibrate. I follow the directions but instead of quickly calibrating it sits and doesn’t do anything. So right now I am going to be looking for a new one. I will be interested to hear your experience with yours.

Well I’ll be… check this out!

20180622_173621.jpg

Today, I've had an online ordering, change of heart. Everything I thought about Amazon is now retracted. The stories I’ve heard (from reliable sources) are behind me now. Those stories are their experience, not mine.

Woo hoo, exactly what I ordered and only 4 days. Ok, that’s kind of impressive.

Good job Amazon.

This is the exact one. wildhair pointed me to it:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071XFRLSN/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Just got a chance to sit down and take a look at it. It comes with these packages of stuff, apparently for calibrating it. It doesn’t look too hard. Just mix the different packages in with a couple of glasses of water and use the little screwdriver to set it to what it says. It's loaded with batteries and everything. Easy to read.

It’s going to have to wait a couple of days before I really get to play with it though. Have a few more wifey obligations tonight and then I need to get a good sleep. Long drive tomorrow morning, early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. However, I can finally offer advice. YAY! I would make sure to property store the meter. In most meters, and in threads I have read on this board, you have to ensure the electrodes are kept wet. Also do not store in distilled water because it harms the meter over the long term. The meter's instructions should provide you with information on proper storing technique. You are going to be making a lot of wine so want to have a good meter around for awhile.

Great information iridium, thank you. It doesn't say anything about storing it in water but I'll take a better look once I get a chance to calibrate it. It comes in this great, thick plastic case that holds it and the screwdriver nicely. It does say that after prolonged periods of not using it that it has to be re-calibrated again.

My goodness, this summer is just full of social obligations. Finally got an hour to myself.

So just did the calibration on this PH meter. Not as easy as it sounded. 250 mls of distilled water in 2 separate cups. Mixed one with the red pack (4.01) and one with the green pack (6.86). The temperature had to be 25 C.

Did the green one first and it was sitting on 6.46 so gave it a few turns and it settled nicely on 6.86. Cleaned off the meter with distilled water and then tested the red one. It was exactly at 4.00, which it says it should be, on the back of the pack.

So my question, does the wine have to be at exactly 25 C to read properly?

We still have the "extra" in the 1/2 litre bottle but it's been sitting in the fridge, so probably much colder than 25 C. The other 7 litres is sitting out, so probably more around room temperature. I took the "extra" out of the fridge about 10 minutes ago. Can I test the extra? And can I test it now or should it be at 25 C?

Ok, left the extra out overnight and just took the reading.

20180627_051938.jpg

3.47. Have no idea what this means.

When I washed it off, just for fun, I tested our tap water and it was 7.30. Now I want to go test a few other things.

Last edited:
Looks good. However, I can finally offer advice. YAY! I would make sure to property store the meter. In most meters, and in threads I have read on this board, you have to ensure the electrodes are kept wet. Also do not store in distilled water because it harms the meter over the long term. The meter's instructions should provide you with information on proper storing technique. You are going to be making a lot of wine so want to have a good meter around for awhile.

The meter has a cap on the bottom of it. I put some tap water in the cap and put it back on the meter and put the meter in the case. Are you able to direct me to the thread that talks about how to store these. Does this sound like a good idea? It doesn't say anything in the instructions.

Latest posts

Back