Marquette wine availability

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikM

Reaction score
I am eager to try some wine made from Marquette grapes. I will be in the NE Iowa/south & central Wisconsin areas in July. Can someone suggest a winery or wineries that sell Marquette wine? Thanks. Erik

I must be the only one that doesn't like Marquette. I've tried blending it, adding tannins and by itself. It seams to be very popular on this forum.

Dan it is more a matter of the fact that there are very limited reds available for use in very cold climates. So far it is one of the better ones available for use. We would prefer to be able to use Cab or something else, but they just won't survive in these areas 10-25 degrees colder than where you are.

Ok, that makes sense as mine is coming out of Canada somewhere over by Michigan (long story). I have heard of a few very good ones coming out of the Finger Lakes but I have not tasted them.

I am eager to try some wine made from Marquette grapes. I will be in the NE Iowa/south & central Wisconsin areas in July. Can someone suggest a winery or wineries that sell Marquette wine? Thanks. Erik

Park Farm Winery has a very good Marquette. They are outside of Dubuque. not sure about Eagles Landing in Marquette but they are sure worth a stop. Lots of small wineries in the area. Good luck and have fun

Cultures all over the Middle East and Europe have been making vinifera wines for millenia (and really honed it over the last few centuries). The modern era of hardy hybrid breeding and winemaking only began a couple decades ago (okay maybe 3 or 4). I think with a few more decades, not only will the viticulture and vinification adapt, but breeding work is still quite active and we'll have a larger palate with which to work.

I live in eastern Iowa and made a bunch of Marquette last year. I even have some from 2012 in my cellar. You're welcome to stop by and pick a bottle or two up to try it.

Some might consider it terrible, but I'm turning my 2013 Marquette into port primarily, since it just screams to me that it has that character. My 2013 Marquette port test blends outperformed local store bought port that has a high recommendation in a blind taste test among several friends recently. I can't wait to see how it ages.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Tristan, I may take you up on your generous offer. I am not sure of our driving route yet.

Back