MAPLE SYRUP??? HELP......HELP......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman72

Reaction score
So, I made a blueberry / apple juice wine of sorts, kinda just threw all of the flavors that I like in two gallon fermenter with no water all concentrate and flavors and let her rip, thing it the ABV stopped at 1.000 and hasn't moved for over a week, but when I went to do a quick transfer off the lees the batch started bubbling like it wasn't finished. Now I got to thinking that the Maple Syrup that I added is possibly still fermenting? does it ferment slow like honey? the wine tastes awesome and I want to bottle but I don't want to make a BOMB!!!

My guess is it wants to ferment further. But . . .
I had a blueberry wine that stopped at just a hair over 1.00. The seller said it was probably done so I sulphited, bottled and drank it. Worked out nice for us having retained just a hair of sweetness to bring out the fruit flavor, so I didn't have to back sweeten any. Haven't had any issues with re-fermenting in the bottle and corks popping, so it's worked out.
That sounds like a good combo, by the way.

Why the rush to bottle? Even fruit wines need aging time and bulk aging is the safest and best way. A fruit wine ( with very few exceptions) should be aged not less than 9-12 months and in bulk. They can drop out all kinds of precipitates and especially since you have a conglomerate of fruit and sugars, you REALLY need to age it a good 9-12 months.
My first batch was a blueberry bottled at 4 1/2 months. Opened the first bottle at 5 1/2 months. Ok, not bad, but at 9 months it was awesome like a totally different wine. So much so that I was really embarassed to have shared it with friends at 5 1/2 months as the first results of my new wine making hobby.

There is no point in rushing to bottle a wine. If you are short on Carboys invest in another one or two. Isn't that wine worth it?

By the way with the additional sugar you added through the maple syrup your yeast may be at the end of it's ability or it may take a while to rebuild and finish fermenting. Even blueberry wine will easily ferment down to .990 if given the right additives and conditions.

Adding more sugar (Step feeding) is going to work best while the yeast is still in a strong condition (SG reading between 1.060 - 1.040) When the yeast gets closer to it's maximum potential and the alcohol level is getting higher, the yeast can stumble and even fail if it's over fed. So if you added the sugar at the end of fermentation, it may take your yeast a lot longer to strengthen and ferment that new sugar.

Latest posts

Back