Many different opinions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree 110%. Coming from a brew background sanitation is a top priority. By the way it wasn’t someone working at the store, it was a customer.[/QUOTE

OK big difference. Couldn't imagine that from a Local Wine/Brew store. A clueless customer - yeah, lots of those out there.

Hmmm don't know how this happened - Quoting myself.

Disregard this post

Last edited:
I'm in favor of controlling what I can. Sanitation? I wash everything, inside and out, immediately after use. it's hard to tell if there are chunks floating in your carboy if you can't see through the side. :) I often wipe the outside of carboys down during bulk aging to remove dust. I'm not OCD about it, but if I see dust, I wipe it off.

Unsanitized grapes (or other fruit)? That's another reason to use commercial yeast, as it will defeat most wild yeasts and bacteria.

Yes, the same yeast nutrient in both brewing and wine making. Fermaid O or K, etc.

Do you find it necessary to use in every batch?

This is a description of yeast nutrient used for brewing:
Yeast Nutrient is a mixture of diammonium phosphate and food-grade urea that nourishes yeast, ensuring that it remains healthy throughout fermentation

WV

Last edited:
I'm still learning, but I have learned that sanitary and clean are two different things. I make certain that all my equipment is freshly cleaned. I don't use a sanitizer agent. Keep your hands and your equipment clean and you will probably do okay. Truth is it is a very unsanitary world. Like my grandmother said, "Do your best and don'y worry."

Do you find it necessary to use in every batch?

Yeast Nutrient is a mixture of diammonium phosphate and food-grade urea that nourishes yeast, ensuring that it remains healthy throughout fermentation

WV

I do, even though it's most likely not necessary all the time. I feel better knowing it won't be an issue in the process.

The two components listed, DAP and urea, are examples of inorganic nitrogen sources. High quality yeast nutrients will contain additional components such as yeast extract, vitamins and minerals, and yeast hulls. Urea has been eliminated from most of the modern formulations.

The two components listed, DAP and urea, are examples of inorganic nitrogen sources. High quality yeast nutrients will contain additional components such as yeast extract, vitamins and minerals, and yeast hulls. Urea has been eliminated from most of the modern formulations.

Would it be harmful to use this yeast nutrient that I have on hand?

You can look up ethyl carbamate and determine for yourself if you want to add additional urea to wine. The use of urea as a fermentation supplement is prohibited in the US. BATF has found that the use of urea is not considered acceptable in good commercial practice among wine producers and has rescinded the listing of urea as an authorized treatment (Federal Register, Vol. 55, No. 118, 24974-24982, 06/19/90).

I personally stick with the modern nutrient formulations that have removed urea, they may not necessarily be any better, but hopefully they are at least current with the latest information on the subject.

You can look up ethyl carbamate and determine for yourself if you want to add additional urea to wine. The use of urea as a fermentation supplement is prohibited in the US. BATF has found that the use of urea is not considered acceptable in good commercial practice among wine producers and has rescinded the listing of urea as an authorized treatment (Federal Register, Vol. 55, No. 118, 24974-24982, 06/19/90).

I personally stick with the modern nutrient formulations that have removed urea, they may not necessarily be any better, but hopefully they are at least current with the latest information on the subject.

Could it be that the use of this nutrient is safe for brewing because it is put in the brew pot and boiled for 60-90 minutes?

found this.

http://www.essencia.co.nz/Bulletins/Urea in the Home Brew Market.pdf

@Johnd thanks for the compliment.

1 week after crush I’m back down
To 73° and at .997 SG.
Pressing tonight.
Gonna take a baseline chroma test, then give it maybe a month to see if MLF naturally occurs before dosing So2.

I must admit this winemaker mag article I read a few months back helped my decision to attempt a “natural ferment” on 300lbs of grapes. Just for fun and to expand my resume I guess.
I posted the article before but here it is again. View attachment 51124

Thanks for posting the article I may try a batch next year

Back