Mango wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damudman

Reaction score
My primary will be empty this weekend.
Now I am thinking of a mango wine.
Aldi's has mango's for .69 each
A mango weights about 1 lbs each, so I was think getting 30 of them
that would be only $20.70 for a batch of mango wine.
I think that is good price. :db

About a year ago I made mango wine with fresh mango's. The recipe still has to be published on my web-log which I will do about a year after I made the wine and that will be around 30 april.

But I will give you some details here.

I used 14 mango's

About half of the weight is skin and pith so what is left is halft the weight.
My 14 mango's weighed 7.2 kilo and so what was left is 3.6 kilo.
3.6 kilo gained 3.5 liter pulp.

I made 10 liter wine with them.

Mash them, pulp them further with a mixer or kitchen machine.
Then add sulphite (a bit) and pectic enzymes. and Let sit warm for 24 hour.

Next measure SG and acid.
Now calculate how much you will have to add off both to get 10 liter wine with an acidity of 5 and an alcohol percentage of 11%.

Adjust calculations to the amount of mangos you have and the amount of wine you want to make. But use these figures as a guide and you will have a great wine.

The wine was great !!!
Still have some bottles left.

Luc

I make a mango wine every year during the peak season here in Costa Rica. I use 20# of peeled and de-seeded fruit for 6 gallons of wine.

We just bottled some mango wines a few weeks ago. Depending on what kind of mango it is, it may be very stringy and drop A LOT of sediment. It is so worth it....delicious! This year we decided to split up the 6 gallons; some back sweetened with sugar, some with honey, some with grape concentrate, and a few bottles of sparkling wine. YUM.

We are going to be trying a mango melomel soon. I am really allergic to poison oak, and I can't eat mango because they have a similar oil in the skins (same oil actually, urushiol). I don't have a food allergy, so I don't have to worry about horrible life threatening effects, just a contact dermatitis, rash style thing. Anyway, my wife wanted to try making a wine, so we decided that we'll have her go to a friends house and process the mangos into a primary and mix up ingredients here, that way I won't touch any and she'll get to do it without me looking over her shoulder. I'm thinking that whatever allergens are there, will likely precipitate out. Might be a good way to have mango again. One of my favorite fruits!

Granted I've only bottled about 6 or 7 batches of wine so far, but my Mango is my favorite so far. I used Mango juice for my first batch-as well as for another batch that is in secondary right now-but I intend to go with real fruit next time.

I have made a few one gallon batches of mango wine using Smuckers Mango Jam. Most grocery stores don't stock it, but you can order direct from Smuckers online. I just checked the price, and a 12 pack of 18oz jars was $38. I used 3 jars per gallon, but since it is so concentrated in jam form, I think that the 12 pack would be enough for a 5 gallon batch. It has a little solid fruit in it, which I separated out after dissolving the jam by pouring it through a mesh bag. The bag went into the primary along with everything else. You will need to use extra pectic enzyme to take care of the extra pectin in the jam. It made a very good wine without all of the pulp and sediment you get with the fruit. Considering the weight of seed and skin that you lose, I think the cost between fruit and jam would be comparable. You also save on added sugar as the jam is very sweet to start with.

Latest posts

Back