Malolactic Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogsrobert

Junior
Reaction score
My understanding is that after the primary fermentation is finished, it's best to do a second malolactic fermentation. Does anyone know the best yeast to use for this? I am making Merlot
Thanks

Welcome Jim,

Glad to have you aboard. Here is a link to a very detail explanation of all the aspects of MLF and it should answer most of your questions.

http://www.brsquared.org/wine/Articles/MLF/MLF.htm

Note: The addition of a malolactic bacteria to wine kits should not be attempted. This is due to the fact that most juices are tartrate-stabilized prior to concentrating or blending, and thus contain a very high proportion of malic acid. Malolactic fermentation would convert this malic acid to lactic, leaving a kit with a pH above 3.8, and a flabby, soft character. It would also be susceptible to bacterial infections.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I planted 100 vines 4 years ago, and will have my first full harvest this year. Other the past years I have had a difficult time finding wine making products and information regarding their use. Your company and web site are an answer to my prayers. Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

JIm
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back