making wine with just pure juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmrussell

Junior
Reaction score
hi friends, i have recently discovered this site and am amazed at all the info and recipes it contains. as a new wine maker, i have many questions to ask but this question is more important to me right now.
I recently picked 20 lbs of mulberrys. yes, i picked every berry to make sure it was just right. i am wanting to make a small batch of mulberry wine but i dont want to cut it with water.I was thinking of making a 2 gallon batch with just the juice from the berries and was wondering if this will make a good wine? Any advice or thoughts with this would be appreciated.

James Russell

Hi James, welcome to winemakingtalk. I see no reason why you couldn't make it with all juice and yes it would make a good wine. I would taste the juice to see how you like it.

James, welcome to WMT!

You have a lot more patience than I do, 20 lbs, wow! Every time I pick a pound or two my four kids devour them. My only recourse is to freeze them as I pick them, but I have little free space in my freezer. I'd bet it would make a great red wine. Please let us know how it goes.

I would check the pH level, some berries and fruits are too acidic to use just the juice

I have made two different batches of mulberry wine. One with fresh berries and one with steam juiced straight juice. Don't ask me why, but the steam juiced batch was by far the best batch.

Bob

that link does not seem to be working vacuumpumpman . i did a google on jack keller wine making blog and the web pages are unavailable. i do have a few good recipes already from this site. i had to freeze my mulberries in batches of 2.5 lbs. my family knows better than to touch my fruit for wine making lol.
My plan is to save some of the juice to sweeten to taste just before bottling. i have gotten some great ideas from the site already and i decided to join since i will be using the ideas. Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Last edited:
ahhh, its working for me now. so i have been to that site and i am following one of the recipes from him. i still have not decided to go the juice only route or pulp. one question, should i take out the stems from them if i go pulp route?

Last edited:
so if i decide to go the pulp route and not the juice only as wehn i started this thread? would i need to take the stems off the berries?

well, i got 1.5 gallons of pure juice so i added my sugar and some water to make it a 2 gallon batch. yeast nutrient and campden tabs have been added. will pitch the yeast tomorrow night and away we go. SG was 1.092

no norcal i wasnt able to check the ph. i dont have the stuff to do that atm. at this point it looks like it has stalled on me. i started a new thread on this.

Latest posts

Back