WineXpert Making two kits at once

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripplett

Reaction score
My wife loved the California Trinity Red so much that I ordered two more kits and another primary. I'm making them both at once. Do I need to sanitize the spoon, hoses, hydrometer, etc between each batch while working on them or can I just go from one to the other? I know the little voice in my head says to lower the chance of cross contamination in the minute chance that would happen that I should sterilize each time I switch. Just looking for feedback I suppose.

good question: i dont, and sometimes i will use the same racking cane and stir 3 are 4 batches without cleaning.
i also have bottled a few batches at the same time without cleaning.
interesting to see what others say about this.

Sanitation

If you have prepared both wine kits at the same time and you're going to do the basic process step-by-step each- one of them -at the same time them once you have done those steps and a pause in the process then yes , you should sanitize but you can do both of them at the same time it will not hurt anything ,does that make sense? :tryE

Tripplett, another thing you might consider, if you want to be adventurous, is to make one batch per the instructions and "free lance" on the other, just for comparison. You might consider adding blackberries, raspberries or raisins to one of the batches to see what effect they would have. Just a thought.

As far as sanitizing is concerned, if you stir one batch and then stir the other immediately, there is little chance of contamination except if the first batch is compromised. On the other hand, if you have a spray bottle of k-meta handy and a sink to rinse the tool, it certainly would not hurt anything and it may give you peace of mind.

Thanks for the replies. Yes joeswine they are both running simultaneously so I will do each step on both at the same time.

Rocky, good idea but I already started them last week. I'd say they are close to 1.020 today so I don't know if adding raisins at this point would help. I did buy some nice toasted oak spirals and may play with adding more oak to one of them in the secondary.

Also, I am lucky enough have a sink within arms reach. So adding a spray of StarSan or K-Meta and a quick rinse is not that hard.

Latest posts

Back