Making Strawberry Wine - Liqueur first?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambassador

Junior
Reaction score
I just finished preparing 20 pounds of strawberries for some strawberry wine. In my recipe searching I've found some people advise mixing all ingredients (except yeast) for 24 hours to allow the pectic enzymes to do their work but others such as this one http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-strawberry recommends making a liqueur first using only the strawberries, minimal water, and the pectin and then only adding the yeast, sugar and remaining ingredients after the pectin has done it's job.

Has anybody used this liqueur method, and if so, what is the advantage of doing so? Does the pectinase do a better job in a smaller volume?

I think a better method is use pectin and sugar at about 2 lbs per gallon let sit overnight. some what like a strawberry shortcake topping the sugar and pectin will draw out the juice of the berry. same method can be used on peaches etc. make measurement and adjustments the next day. some water can be added to assist in dissolving sugar.

Back