making port from kit wine or fruit wine:

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kglynch42

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there an easy way to turn a kit wine into a Port-style? I heard adding Brandy and sugar.. Can't be that simple though, can it?

I am thinking about making a 3 gallon batch of blueberry wine and I'd like to turn that into a port-style.

Thanks!

Ken

Sorry, we just merged another forum onto here today so its way busier then usual and usually you get an answer very fast. Yes it is that simple or you can do it a different way by adding more sugar as its fermenting and this will eventually poison the yeast by overcoming its abv tolerance. You can either do it very carefully and gradually so as to end up sweet or just calculate it (better method) so as not push the yeast good and then sweeten after your wine goes dry at a pretty high abv. At that point you can still add brandy or whatever to up the abv a little more and this will save you lots of money as you wouldnt believe how much it takes to bring up the abv.

I have been reading on the board that by just adding brandy, I can kill off the yeast and get the abv to about 19%...
From what I've read, I should ferment until the S.G. drops to about 1.04, then add Brandy to get to the goal ABV, as calculated by Pearson's square.

Does this sound like a good plan? Looking to keep things as simple as possible :)

Latest posts

Back