WineXpert Making First Red Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aging question.

According to my wine kit directions I should be bottling my zin now which is ~ day 42, however, I want to add oak which has not arrived yet. I believe the oak should be in this week-end. I also plan to age my wine for a year, of course only a month or so with the oak.

When should I add the K-Meta? Can I add the oak and k-meta at the same time?

I also plan on tasting my wine periodically so I don't over oak, should I top off the carboy after each taste or is it okay to leave as is? If I top off do I use a retail bottle of zin?

Thanks for the replys

Wolfman - Earth, Zin and Fire is very good and made by a local family about 5 miles from my front door....Very cool winery, the actual Jessies Grove is a 20+/- grove of 100+ year old oak trees, they do a very cool concert series every year called groovin' in the grove - hence Earth, Zin and Fire take off and the concert ticket label on the back.......I was told to top off with a decent bottle of whatever you are making

According to my wine kit directions I should be bottling my zin now which is ~ day 42, however, I want to add oak which has not arrived yet. I believe the oak should be in this week-end. I also plan to age my wine for a year, of course only a month or so with the oak.

When should I add the K-Meta? Can I add the oak and k-meta at the same time? Yes that would be fine.

I also plan on tasting my wine periodically so I don't over oak, should I top off the carboy after each taste or is it okay to leave as is?You need to keep the carboy topped up within 2 inches of the bung while agingIf I top off do I use a retail bottle of zin? Yes

Lodi I think that is cool that you live so close to Jessie Groves. I just went and bought another three bottles of the Earth, zin and fire. Where is Lodi in relation to NAPA, is it fairly close by? I might have to stop into the winery next time I'm in NAPA.

Masta thanks for the information. Always appreciate your sound advise.

Lodi, is about an 1hr 30 min form Napa - But Lodi/Woodbridge wouldn't be just a day trip. It's its own Wine destination, you could spend several days here and not see everything.....let me know if you want more links/info there's some great wines being made here by very friendly approachable people and most of the tasting is still FREE!!!

masta, I have heard that the wine can foam when adding oak and was told to remove some before adding the oak to the wine. I'm not sure how much to remove but I was planning on about taking 750 ml. Then add it back to the carboy after 24 hours or so. Have you ever heard of this?

Never heard of it or seen it and I have used chips, cubes, and spirals.

I have a new question. How many bottles do you end up putting
back into your carboy after you rack for the first time. I had to
put in 3 bottles. Is that normal? That seemed like alot to
me.

Yes adding 3 bottles after racking means you left too much wine in the carboy you were racking from.

Masta I know you told me that I could add the k-meta and oak at the same time, which I am going to do tonight.

When you add the k-meta do you just measure and drop in or dissolve it first then add the slurry?

Do I stir the wine at all after adding the k-meta or just let it disperse?

You can remove about a half cup of wine from the carboy. Mix the K-Meta with that wine -stirring it until well dissolved. Then place it back in the carboy. It is a good idea to stir gently to mix it in.

Latest posts

Back