Making a sweet wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlTropical

Reaction score
This will be my first time making wine. I am making 5 gallons of Lychee. I have been reading various online and printed information and one thing still eludes me a little. Sweetening. My wife and I prefer non-dry, sweet wines. From what I gather there are two ways to accomplish this:

1.) back sweeten: Add sugar at the end (and an inhibitor). This seems to make the most sense, however making wine bombs worries me a little

2.) stop it early: Add more sugar than I need up front and stop it around 12%, hoping it is nice and sweet (add inhibitor.. I think).

How would I calculate method 2? The last thing I want is a sweet high % wine, or a dry non sweet wine. Any tips or calculations greatly appreciated.

Basically... You're not "stopping" a fermentation..

The safe option is to ferment your wine dry, add potassium metabisulfite & potassium sorbate, wait a week & backsweeten to your liking. The metabisulfite helps the sorbate inhibit the yeast better - cant remember exactly how at the moment, but i know sorbate works better in the presence of metabisulfite.

No ones gonna stop you from adding 18% abv worth of sugar and using a 12% yeast, but thats a shot in the dark. Bottle bombs are more likely to happen in this way than they are if you properly sorbate your batch of wine.

I agree - you are not really stopping fermentation - you are just shocking it enough that it is not active - but it can reactivate.

Ferment to dry - once done fermenting - rack off the lees and add the k-meta and sorbate in. Wait a week and then backsweeten to you likings.

If you are adding in a clarifier wait until after you have backsweetened.

Get your starting SG at 1.085 - that way your abv will be around 11-12% when dry.

I am thinking about doing a little experiment on some of my wine from fresh grapes at some point. It has fermented to dry (0.996) and is currently bulk aging, and I would like to backsweeten to 1.000 or perhaps 1.002 and see how this effects the flavor profile.

Is their a handy dandy backsweetening calculator that tells you how much inverted sugar to add?

Thank you all for the details.

It is clear to me now that option 1 is the clear answer. I think I am just a put put off by how dry, tart and shocking the fruit wines are that my father in law makes so I am a bit paranoid. I really want to impress my wife ;)

So how do I determine how much to back sweeten it at the end? Can I just add some, stir, taste, repeat as needed?

.....So how do I determine how much to back sweeten it at the end? Can I just add some, stir, taste, repeat as needed?

Yes you can do it this way but take a reading when you have it where you would like it. This way you will know for the next time how far to backsweeten.

Thank you all, sometimes google just does not answer these questions for me. :)

So somehow I ended up at 1.0975 rather than 1.085. Hoping this does not affect it too much. My Hydrometer says up to 15%, a little much for me but for a first try I can live with it.

Latest posts

Back