Making A Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Started me a Plum Wine last weekend using plums given to me by a friend of my Sis. I had cleaned them well and frozen them about 6 weeks ago.
20060819_014241_plums_ready_to_.jpg

For my recipe ( 3 Gallons) I had 14.5 lbs Plums to which I added 4 lbs really ripe Banana's sliced really thin and 2lbs golden raisins which I processed in my Bullet

20060819_014610_raisins_process.jpg

I then processed my Plums by mashing them up really good inside a zip loc bag, extracting as much of that good juice as possible
20060819_014845_plums_juiced.jpg

I then put my Plums, Raisins and Bananas into a strainer bag, placed it in my Primary Fermenter along with the Plum juice I had extractedandadded 1 gallon boiling water and stirred well.
20060819_015552_plum_goodies_in.jpg

I let this sit until cool and strained enough juice to get an SG reading which was 1.070. I then dissolved 3 Campden tablets and added to must, stirring well. I let this set for about 10 hrs and I then added 3 tsp of Yeast Nutrient, 2 tsp of yeat energizer and assed to the must.
My next step was to dissolve my sugar
20060819_023715_sugar_dissolved.jpg

I cooled this down using my ice cubes in a zip loc bag trick as I wanted to get it into the must before I had to leave for work that morning. I added that to my must. stirred well and let it set until that evening. I took an SG and it was at 1.100. A little higher than I had wanted soI took another reading to make sure it was correct, It was still reading right at 1.110 with a must temp of 75 degrees so I went ahead and added another 1 gallon water to it. Stirred it well and pitched my Red Star Champagne yeast to it.
20060819_023822_plum_must.jpg

The next morning I had fermentation beginning and by that evening it was going strong.
20060819_023917_plum_fermenting.JPG

By Friday evening,my SG was at 1.020 and I racked itto a 3 gallon carboy, a gallon jug and a 750 ml bottle using my funnel with strainer. I had to clean out the strainer 3 times before I got it all racked as it had a lot of pulp that had escaped the strainer bag.
rackingplumwine81706.jpg

The wine, during the last days of fermentation, had a layer of orange colored glaze on top I have never seen before. I call it glaze which may not properly describe it, but it was similiar to , well, like the fat that risies to the top when making a chicken broth.Here is a picture of some of it in the strainer on the funnel
gunkinstrainer.jpg

Was this from the raisins? The Plums? Or bananas? Not sure. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas on this I would love to know.
plumwineinjugs81706.jpg

She is bubbling happily along now and I think it will be ready for another racking about Tuesday, Wednesday of next week. Oh, I forgot to mention, at racking, I had to take a taste and it was quite tangy, tart and well, plumy!!
plumwineracked281706.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo my man you are amazing!
smiley32.gif
Your plum wine already looks awesome and I can taste those zesty plums even at this hour of the morning. Great job and yes I'm jealous!!
smiley32.gif

Not sure what the floatie stuff could be but, then who cares so long as the finished product meets your expectations. Job well done sir!

Pepere

Great job and presentation Waldo. Like you Im not quite sure what that glaze is. Got to think about this. I made a plum wine2 years ago and its now just getting good. I was told before I started that it would take a long time. I have a ques. Did you add any Pectic Enzyme to this? Not that it has anything to do with the glaze, just curious.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Bill B said:
Great job and presentation Waldo. Like you Im not quite sure what that glaze is. Got to think about this. I made a plum wine2 years ago and its now just getting good. I was told before I started that it would take a long time. I have a ques. Did you add any Pectic Enzyme to this? Not that it has anything to do with the glaze, just curious.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0">Bill
I did add pectic enzyme Bill, 3/4tsp of liquid. I added it right before I added the nutrient and rnergizer

Pepere said:
Waldo my man you are amazing!
smiley32.gif
Your plum wine already looks awesome and I can taste those zesty plums even at this hour of the morning. Great job and yes I'm jealous!!
smiley32.gif

Not sure what the floatie stuff could be but, then who cares so long as the finished product meets your expectations. Job well done sir!

Pepere
Thanks Pepere. I am hoping it will be a good wine. Will let you know more about that in, hmmmm lets say, 2 years from now
smiley2.gif

pkcook said:
Waldo,

Great job! How many batches do you have going right now?
Thanks PK...I have:
5 gallon madefrom a varietal of grape called,Campbells Early
5 gallon Blackbery
6 gallon Blueberry Melomel
3 gallon Strawberry
4 gallon Plum

The plum continues to clear nicely. I racked it yesterday evening , will let it settle for probably another week and then stabilize. Fermentation ended at .980

Hi Waldo. I'm making a gal. batch of your Blueberry melomel recipe and
at an SG of 1.050, it already tastes so delicous. I wiil be making a 6
gal. batch of this one and will probably be following wiht another and
another and so on!!!!!

Great Wade....I was planning on aging mine for a year in the carboy before bottling but now...im not sure

It is soooooo good I'll be lucky if it doesnt get finished before its done fermenting! HEHEHE
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back