Making a Muscadine wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunTim

Reaction score
I have 6# of muscadines in the freezer and want to make a gallon batch of wine with it. I know Waldo and a few others have done this with great success.
Could you post your recipe for a 1 or 5 or 6 gallon batch. I may try and tweak it some as I want to make a lower ABV of maybe 10 to 11%. I notice a few of the posts in the past were of about 14%. I am sure I will have to ask questions later about acid levels. I need to show my better half that homemade muscadine wine can and does taste good.
Thanks for all your help.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Need some more info first Cajun. Do you know what varital of Muscadines you have? Do you want a dry, sweet or somewhwere in between. For a semi dry try this recipe.

6 lbs ripe Muscadines

2-1/4 lbs granulated sugar

Water to make one gallon

1 tsp pectic enzyme

1 tsp yeast nutrient

1 crushed Campden tablet

1 packet Montrachet yeast

Use your normal procedures for the Kmeta and pectic enzyme. If the must seems too acidic you may have to add a little calcium carbonate.

Thanks for the feedback Waldo. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I am told that the Muscadnes are “Dixieland”, but not 100% sure. I am not to fond of a dry wine at this time so a semi sweet to semi dry would be great. &lt;would rather it be a tad to the sweet side then the dry side&gt; I am going to stop be the wine shop on the way home tomorrow and pick up a little Calcium Carbonate just in case I need it. For a semi sweet, what do you guys think the starting SG that I should aim for? I would like to try not to back sweeten this one.
Thanks again Waldo for your quick response.

Unless you have an enolmatic filter or a big enough freezer to cold stabilize I think back sweetening is a better way. Even cold stabilization is risky with the chance of refermentation in the bottle. Starting a wine with an etremely high SG will most likely render you with a very high abv or a wine that stoped to early and will be way to sweet and way out of balnce.

Thanks wade, I will just go with the waldo recipe then. I don't want to play with this one to much.

Latest posts

Back