Makeshift stirring machine! And time to clear?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slbrides

Junior
Reaction score
After reading several helpful suggestions and with the wine ready to be degassed, we made out own "stirrer" tonight. I am sure there are plenty homemade versions out there! We took a curtain rod, cut it down, flattened one end, sanitized it, attached it to the drill with duct tape and away we went!
Directions say stir vigorously for 2 mins, but after all this reading, we did it for more like 10. Hopefully that was enough. I don't have any gadgets to measure if it was.
So my next question is: directions say 14 days to clear. And if not cleared, wait another 7. I may have asked this before, but is it ok to automatically leave it longer? We will actually be away when it is probably cleared....am hoping an extra week does not hurt the end product.....probably 28 days total.
And just for clarification with messages in the forum, should I start a new one with each new question or can I keep jumping on board with others? I don't want to step on toes.
Thanks!

Whatever works to get the gas out is fine to use. Just try not to introduce a ton of air- some is needed to help displace the C02.

As far as starting a new topic for each question- I find it easiest to respond to questions if you keep them grouped somewhat. Let's say you start an Island Mist kit. You let us know that. Then you have a question about why it doesn't seem to be fermenting yet, maybe it's too cold, so you start another topic. Then you have a degassing question and start a new topic - and so on. Before you know it you might have 5 topics going. It is much easier to keep them under the original Island Mist kit topic. That way we know what kit it is, and all the pertinent problems and questions you have had with it.

I hope that helps you a bit. Good question.

Sounds like you had your thinking cap on for that one...way to go.....as far as leaving the wine for an extra week it's OK....may do more good than harm, it will be OK....You are off to a great start, which wine is next....Have fun that is the main thing...
smiley2.gif

Have I said I love this site yet? Thanks guys...much appreciated for the help and support....I will keep you informed!

Just dont leave it on that sediment too long as the fining agents may give it an off flavor but the time you have stated will be fine.

Latest posts

Back