Madeira wine as a boost?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Hi, Needless to say I made a mistake when doing my CC red mnt cabernet kit. Long story but I had to top it up with water (2 750 ml bottles worth). Now I am paraniod and think it tastes a little thin. I have been recommended to use glycerin. It is currently racked and waiting to be cleared (30 days in). I was wondering if I could condense down a store bought cabernet; similar to turning it into a madeira wine and top up a 1 gallon carboy (it has about 500 ml of head-space in it now; just rack today) with it to help add some boost to the overall final 6 gallon kit. I figure this will give it a little more body and boost the grape-yness/fullness of the taste. I am sure this has flaws...any thoughts on this?

Don't know how a bottle of cab would taste after condensing it like that.

You can improve mouth fill with a product - Tan Cor Grand Cru. In your case, use about 2 teaspoons for 6 gallons of red wine. Kit wines are already thin; since you added water to an already thin wine, you might get by with adding 3 teaspoons per 6 gallons to this lot.

Back